Saturday, March 3, 2012

Double Rent

And my story keeps getting better.

Remember how I told you I cancelled my rent once I realized my paycheck hadn't been deposited?

Well, once I DID get my paycheck money, I went back to my apartment complex website and re-started my rent payments.

I finally thought the entire situation was back to normal, so I went about my day. The following day (March 1), I logged into my checking account to make sure my rent had been paid, and my account balance was far lower than it should have been. I started my investigation into where $700 had gone when I realized I had been charged for rent twice! I apparently had not stopped my rent payment the first time, and then when I went back in a second time to pay it, I got charged twice.

Ugh.

So I called my apartment. I didn't go into details as to why I had been charged twice, but I informed her that I had been charged twice and needed $700 refunded to me. Her reply was, "I'm sorry, but we don't give refunds."

At this point, it's been one heck of a day/week. I am in no mood to discuss this matter, whether it be my fault or not.

With as level of a voice as I could find, "I'm sorry, but yes, you WILL refund my money. I have paid for rent twice, and you owe me $700. So how would you like to proceed. Either you can call your manager and get this taken care of, or I can call instead. Which would you prefer? You or me making the call?"

"I'll call right now. I will call you back in a few minutes."

That's what I thought.

As promised, she called me back within 20 minutes. She told me that my payment had to clear first, and then they would send a check in the mail. The process would take 5-7 business days, so as long as the payment cleared, I'd be getting a check next week.

That is fine, as long as I get my money back (and it's already cleared the bank, at least on my end).

This was Thursday. My paycheck drama happened on Wednesday. Friday morning, I accidentally slammed my thumb in my desk drawer. It took everything in my power to fight back tears, but even today, my thumb is a little purple and pulsates whenever I touch.

What a week. I'm glad it's over.

No comments: