My parents knew about the engagement within an hour of it happening, and they were thrilled. We told them the entire story, and my mom knew I couldn't keep it a secret from others for long. The problem, however, was we were camping in an area with no cell service. I couldn't call a single person to tell them my wonderful news.
However, Jeff and Shannon were on their way to the campsite and would be there around 6 (it was noon at this point). I was going to have to wait six hours to tell them.
After 4-wheeling, Josh and I spent the afternoon at my parents campsite. We got ice cream at a local store, we played games, we had snacks, we ate dinner together. The wait was killing me!
Finally, Shannon and Jeff pulled up right around 6. They had been driving most of the day to get there, and they were hungry. The kids were hungry. Shannon immediately started making dinner while Jeff got their camper set up and stuff unloaded for their stay.
I didn't want to get in their way of dinner and unloading, so I decided to wait until they had eaten and got settled. I hid my ring under my sweatshirt and let them do their thing.
One hour went by.
And then another. Geesh, it sure does take them a long time to get settled! They finally finished dinner, got their camper set up, got the kids into camping clothes, cleaned up from dinner, got their chairs out, and were ready to come sit by the campfire when Shannon started making dessert for everyone. I mean, it was delicious, don't get me wrong (an ice cream cone filled with peanut butter, chocolate, bananas, and marshmallows wrapped in foil and set on the grill on melt), but for goodness sakes, I have news to share!!!!!
Dessert took a while to make, and finally!!! they sat down at the campfire. By then, it was nearly dark, it had been a couple of hours since they arrived, and I was nervous!
I started with a story. "Josh and I went 4-wheeling today. We did a 17 mile loop, you may have done it before, and about halfway through is a waterfall and picnic area. Josh and I stopped for lunch, explored a little bit, and then Josh set up the camera to take a picture. As the picture snapped, Josh proposed! We're engaged!!!"
Boy were they shocked! They never saw it coming. Hugs were given, the ring was inspected, and questions started flowing. Shannon said, "It took you two hours to share the news?" And I said, "Well, it took you forever to get settled. We were waiting for you to sit down!"
They are excited for us, and it was great to share the news with them while sitting around a campfire.
1 comment:
Yes, it did take us by surprise but we are super happy for you and glad to be one of the first ones to know.
Post a Comment