Tuesday, August 21, 2012

New School Year

I am exhausted.

I have been back to work for one week, and my poor old body is having a hard time adjusting to the 5 a.m. wake-up call. But more than the lack of sleep (compared to 2.5 months of 8 to 9 hours of sleep), my mind is tired.

For five straight days, I have had meeting after meeting after meeting. I have talked about reading scores, writing scores, how to improve those scores, how to reach those who need reached, how to reach both the high and low level students, how to get my high-risk students to graduate, how to teach low students, and on and on the list goes.

I took on a new responsibility of leading the 10th grade English team, and I have already been yelled at and looked down upon for making a decision that wasn't popular with a few in the group (my department manager backed me 100 percent).

I have made hundreds of copies of "How to write a thesis statement", syllabi, and many other worksheets my students need this first week. I have planned. I have plotted. I have prepared the next four months.

But today I met my students, and all my stress and tiredness left. I was re-energized. I was excited. I was happy to be in front of the students. I was filled with joy when I heard students yell my name in the hallway.

"Hey Ms. Nichols, how was your summer?" All my worries slipped away when I saw my students today.

The stress came back as the students left the room for the day, but I know it will get easier (and then harder) and then easier again. I will grade 150 essays times three (450 essays) this semester alone. If I spend only 10 minutes per essay (and I'm not going to lie, some take 20 and some take 5), I will spend over 4,500 minutes of my personal time grading essays. That equals 75 hours, for those who wonder.

But then I hear, "Ms. N, we missed you this summer. I'll stop by during my off hour to catch up," and I forget about the grading and remember why I teach.

For my kiddos: May God bless you this semester. May God keep you safe from harm. May God protect your heart from pain.

2 comments:

Amanda Ogden said...

I agree with you 100%....I hate the politics and all that, but when those students want to share it is the best feeling in the world (teacher-wise....my kids are still #1).

Kari Marie said...

Welcome back!!!!