Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rescue

I went for a walk last night (not because I wanted to but because I promised my boyfriend I would). I departed my apartment with a brisk pace, and I headed down the street. Music blasting in my ears, I decided to make the best of my walk.

As I rounded the corner by McDonald's, I noticed a woman lying in the grass. Actually, I would not say lying. I would say sprawled out on the grass as if she'd been attacked or she had passed out. Her flip flops were scattered on the sidewalk. She was face first in the grass. Her feet were blackened as if she'd been running barefoot. An arm was draped over the portion of her face that wasn't faceplanted in the grass.

My heart started racing.

I was going to have to rescue this woman on my walk.

This made for a much more exciting walk than I originally anticipated.

A car who had turned the corner saw this same woman and came to a stop beside her. They were doing as I had just done: seeing if the woman was breathing, was OK, was injured, was alive, was sleeping, or was injured.

I was happy to see I was going to have help in rescuing this lady, especially since I had left my phone at home.

Then the car drove off.

I was left on my own to save a woman's life!

I approached castiously. "Ma,am," I said. "Are you okay?"

Nothing. No movement, response.

Now my heart was really pumping. I had never had to save a woman's life before.

A little bit louder, I said, "Ma'am, are you okay?" I moved to shake her arm when she stirred. She opened her eyes. She looked up at me looking down at her. She removed her earbuds (which is obviously why she couldn't hear me the first time), looked at me and said, "Oh, I'm fine. I was just taking a nap on the grass."

Oh, well that explains why you look dead, why your flip flops are strewn across the sidewalk, why you didn't move when I asked you if you were okay, why you're faceplanted in the grass in front of McDonald's. That explains everything.

I didn't get to save a life after all. And, I had to finish my walk.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

It's the thought that counts. Better review your CPR skills.

Kari Marie said...

I would have been slightly annoyed at her...

Desiree Jewell said...

Eeek!! Makes you wonder how many people stopped for her!!!!!