I spent the entire afternoon with my grandparents, and it was the best day ever. If you have been blessed to know my grandparents, you will totally understand why spending the day with them brightened my entire week.
I arrived right at their farm in Lexington at noon bringing Personal Pan Pizzas from Pizza Hut for each of us, their favorite. Grandma had Supreme, Grandpa had Ham, and I had Pepperoni. Grandma was so cute and thrilled to have me on their farm, and she quickly set the table with place mats and napkins for our special lunch date. She kept saying, "I can't believe I have a guest from Denver in my place. I feel so high up and special."
After lunch, I stayed for about five hours and we chatted the afternoon away. Grandpa told stories from WWII, grandma shared her life story with me (she's writing it, and while I didn't have time to read the entire 90 years, I got a good start on her very neat life). We talked Lacrosse, school, Josh, they talked about their dating years, etc. It was such a fun day. We watched Jeopardy together, and then it was time for me to hit the road to head to Kearney.
My grandma took a bad fall last week and broke her rib (and severely bruised her back). She is in a lot of pain, so Shannon and I wanted to help take care of them a bit. Shannon is a great cook, and I'm not too bad myself, so Shannon and I brought them an entire week's worth (at least) of food. I had a cooler full of the following things:
Rio Chicken (Shan's recipe) complete with cheese, sour cream, salsa, chips, and tortillas.
Homemade Sloppy Joe's (my recipe) complete with buns and potato chips.
Meatballs, mashed potatoes, and gravy (Ikea's special).
Chocolate bars, cookies, girl scout cookies, muffins, homemade pound cake, strawberries, and homemade PB truffles.
They will be eating well for the next week, and they were so thankful for the food!
I said my goodbyes and left the farm. They stood at the door and waved goodbye (and I'm so mad, but I forgot to take a picture).
I drove the final hour of my trip and arrived in Kearney around 6:30. I drove straight to Collin and Kate's house to see Carson, Kye, and Corinne. How big they have gotten! Carson turned 9 this week, so we were all going out to eat that evening to celebrate with Grandma Sally and Grandpa Doug.
We all met at Valentino's for a late dinner, and we had a good time eating and chatting. Of course, a birthday party isn't a party without gifts.
Shannon and I had Easter gifts for the kids, and my parents had Easter baskets for the kids, and we all had gifts for Carson. He got a cell phone from my parents, and lots of cash to spend on whatever he wants.
I can't believe Carson is 9! He is such a great kid who is kind and smart!
Kye will be 7 in a month, and he is so funny and happy.
Corinne is 4, and she is super outgoing and so, so adorable.
After dinner with the family, I met up with April for an hour and a half. We went to a local bar and got a beer to drink while we caught up on everything. I love April! I made it back to my parents house around 10 p.m. after a full day of driving and visiting.
And that was all on Monday!




No comments:
Post a Comment