Sunday, May 19, 2013

Breaking and Entering

My friend Alicia texted me a few weeks ago and asked if I would dog-sit her two weiner dogs for a week. A WEEK! She must not have gotten the memo that I'm not a huge fan of dogs. But of course I will help a friend, even if it involves dogs.

On Wednesday of this week, I picked up the dogs and brought them to my place. I had all their doggie supplies, plus a house key to periodically check on their house.

(The dogs have been great, by the way, but that's not the point of my story).

This morning, Josh and I decided to skip church (don't judge, but Josh is highly allergic to the dogs and he was having a rough morning of sneezing, itchy eyes, and crying eyes) and take the dogs to the dog park to let them run around.

Half way to the dog park, however, we decided to go to Alicia's house instead because she has a big yard and we could sit and relax while the dogs played.

Alicia lives about a mile from my place, so we were there within minutes. I unlocked the front door, put my car keys and the house key on the counter, and Josh and I both went outside through the back door. I kept the back door open, just in case. I didn't want it to accidentally lock us out or anything.

We played for about 30 minutes, and then Josh went inside to get the dogs some water. On his way out, he shut the back door behind him (do you see where this is going?). We played for a bit longer and then we were all tuckered out, so Josh called the dogs to come inside.

Josh tried opening the back door. Locked.

Yup, we were locked out. With my car keys on the counter. I called Alicia right away to see if they had a hidden key somewhere. No answer. I left a voicemail explaining our small problem while Josh started checking every single window to find a way into the house.

(Alicia warned us about the neighbor across the street who is the neighborhood snoop. He keeps on eye on his neighbors and tells everyone who will listen the important "news" so Josh and I did not want to start poking around the front yard. We were afraid he's call all the neighbors over to watch).

Anyway, Josh finally discovered the kitchen window was unlocked, so he pulled the screen off and got the window open. The window, however, was about five feet from the ground, so it wasn't easy to get into the house. Also, the window was right above the kitchen sink, which was full of dishes. This wasn't going to be an easy task.

We decided Josh was the best one for this window crawling experience, so we eventually got him hoisted onto the window ledge. Let's just say Josh's large frame had to squeeze and bend in unusual ways to get inside the house, and I was nearly in hysterics watching him/trying to help him get through the small frame. I held his butt and legs while he did gymnasts moves with his body.

He eventually squeezed in, crawled over the sink and dishes and made it into the kitchen safe and sound. He unlocked the door, and we were able to grab the keys. Josh put the screen back on the window, we locked the window this time, and quickly made our escape (in case any other neighbors were watching us "break in."

I texted Alicia and said, "Don't worry about the message I left a little bit ago. We broke into your house. Don't worry, we didn't break anything."

No comments: