Monday, September 8, 2014

Paul?

One of the hardest tasks of a new school year is learning names. On average, I teach about 140 students a semester, and only a handful of those are repeat students whom I already know.

I pride myself in learning names quickly. From the first day of class, I create a seating chart so I know their names, and I make sure to address them by name every time I call on them. I can learn names in about a week or two.

Last week, a senior raised his hand to answer a question. I said, "Paul, right?" I didn't wait for him to respond because I was confident I was right on the name. "Go ahead, Paul."

He answered my question, and we went on with the day.

The following day, Paul came into the room. I said, "Hey, Paul, how are you?" A fellow student snickered, so I asked, "That's your name, right? Paul?" His classmate assured me I had the right name and Paul sat down without saying anything.

For two weeks, I have been calling Paul Paul. But yesterday, after calling on Paul again, he said, "Ummm, my name is Tim, not Paul."

Now I know why that student snickered, and Tim has a new name. Everyone calls him Paul now!