Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Set Me Up

Karen from Chatfield is one of the coolest people I know. I will admit that I didn't like her much at first. She has a very abrasive personality, so if you don't take the time to get to know her, she can be a bit overwhelming. She speaks her mind, and she doesn't care who hears what she has to say. She's the union representative for Chatfield, so she's always quoting the law book.

Through the course of this year, however, I have come to really like Karen a lot. She's really funny, and since I'm not a confrontational person, her remarks don't bother me. Karen and I went to lunch a few weeks ago, and she made a comment about setting me up with someone.

I was interested in what she had to say, so I asked who she knew who might be willing to meet me. She told me it's her daughter's husband's brother, Robert.

His list:
Tall (check)
Big boned (check)
An engineer (check)
Makes a lot of money (check)
Cute (check)
Quiet (uh, not so much a check as something I could learn to live with)
32 (check)

She even went so far as to show me a picture of her daughter's husband because she said they look a lot alike. The brother was cute, so I figured that bode well for Robert.

After hearing her brag about Robert, I told her I was interested in meeting him. Why the heck not, huh? I told her to give him my email and/or phone number so he could contact me. I gave her my information to pass on to him. I was excited to meet Robert.

As we walked into the school I said, "I'm excited to meet this guy."

Karen replies, "Oh, well you won't be able to meet him for a while. He lives in California."

Uh....
PROBLEM!

"But he's really rich, so he can fly to Denver anytime he wants."

******************************

About a week later, I got a text from an unknown number. It said, "Hey Shilo, it's Megan (Karen's daughter). Here is Robert's email address. He knows you're going to email him."

I wanted to reply back, "MY NAME IS SPELLED SHILO(H)." But I didn't....

About five minutes later, my phone rang. It was Karen. She proceeded to tell me they had told Robert about me, and he was interested in chatting with me. She said I had to email him ASAP because he knew I was going to do it. I asked her why he wouldn't email me, and she said he was too shy to make the first move. REALLY? Who is sooooo shy that he can't email a girl? Especially at age 32?!?!

Anyway, I emailed Robert. I was friendly as I introduced myself and asked him a few questions.

I didn't hear back from him.

Karen asked me about it this week, and I told her he never emailed me back. She said, "Well, he's awfully shy. Maybe he's too shy to email you back. Maybe you should email him again."

Apart from the fact that he lives in California, this dude now has two strikes against him. If he's so shy he can't even email me back, then I'm out!

See ya, Robert!

3 comments:

Kari said...

Oh man...weak follow through.

Boo.

If he's too shy to email that's lame. Unless the email was in his Junk Mail folder...

Next please!

Shannon said...

I agree with Kari. He's lame.

Rich said...

Didn't we learn to write notes to the people we liked in 4th grade? Wow. Move on.