Tuesday, May 11, 2010

That Doesn't Scare Me!

I've heard it said that something like two out of ten bikers will be hit by a car during their riding career. I've almost become that statistic, due to no fault of the car but rather me making a dumb decision. Luckily, Denver has some great riding trails that keep my friends and me off the road and away from cars. However, the entire 150 mile ride for the MS150 is on the road, and two years ago, a biker was actually hit by a car during the ride. But getting hit by a car doesn't scare me.

Another danger I face every time I get on my bike is falling, which has happened four times since last summer. I am an official bike rider and have the clip-in shoes, which literally means my feet are stuck to the pedals. As you can imagine, this makes for some dangerous situations, and I even have a giant scar to show off from falling last summer. But falling on my bike doesn't scare me.

I've almost hit a child who was about to dart across the trail, but that doesn't scare me.

I've had a dog run out in front of me, but that doesn't scare me.

I've encountered two snakes on the trail, and while that petrifies me, I also realize that the snake can't do any harm to me when I'm riding 15 mph. Snakes don't scare me.

I've come across flooded trails, but that doesn't scare me.

I've ridden through inches of mud, but that doesn't scare me.

I've soared down hills at 30 mph, but that doesn't scare me.

Do you want to know what scares me? Geese.

Yes, you read that right. Geese scare the crap out of me, especially mama geese. I was literally attacked by a goose today. It charged at my ankles, hissing and snipping at me. I am not even kidding.

I was riding on the South Platte trail toward downtown when I came around a corner. Smack dab in the middle of the trail were two large geese and five little, tiny baby geese. The trail was impassable, as they were covering the entire trail. I had to stop to avoid hitting the geese. I got off the bike to walk around the babies, and that's when the mother attacked me. Imagine me running away from a stupid goose! I'm sure it was quite the sight. I managed to avoid getting bit by the goose, but she came close to nipping my heel. I safely got away from the geese, but my heart was pounding as I rode away.

Geese scare me.

4 comments:

linzlou12 said...

I would've loved to see this!

Anonymous said...

This was way too funny!!! Thanks for a good laugh - and I totally have it pictured :-)

Holly said...

Ha! I told you! I'm pretty sure that geese are sucklings of the devil.

Brian and Becca Kuster said...

Geese are SCARY!! Hate them!!