Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Caught Red Handed

There is a study hall in my classroom during 7th hour. Another teacher comes into the room to "man" the students, so therefore, I have to leave the room. I usually take my stuff and head toward the teacher's office at the end of the hall.

I don't enjoy the fact that I have to trust another teacher to keep my room in order. This said teacher does not have a great reputation around the building. She's a PE teacher, and she's been known to say things like, "Isn't it funny that I get paid the exact same salary as an English teacher? Look at all the essays they have to grade. I don't have to grade any papers. Sucks to be them."

She's cruel to the students. She destroys my desk. She doesn't keep an eye on the study hall kids, so they destroy my room nearly every day. I spend the first ten minutes of each day picking up the mess the study hall kids have left behind.

About a month ago, I caught a study hall kid stealing my candy. I happened to walk into the room. He was all by himself, and he was going through my candy jar. Since that time, I started hiding my candy in my desk. I figured it would be safe and sound with the teacher.

Wrong!

Get this story: Yesterday, I left my room as normal. I took my purse and papers to grade and went to my usual spot. About half way through 7th hour, I realized I needed to grab some papers I had left in my classroom. As I walked into my room, I see the teacher and a study digging through my desk. Both teacher and student have their heads buried in my food drawer (where I keep my lunch, snacks, and candy).

I hear the teacher say, "There's some M&M's. Oh, and she has Wheat Thins."
The student goes, "I see pretzels and peanut butter. What should I eat? It all sounds good."

I was so stunned, I stood at the door and watched them dig through my desk for a moment. I then said, "Are you going through my desk?" This caught the attention of the teacher, who quickly jumped up and tried to hide the student behind her. The student did not hear me and continued to say, "I think I'll have the Wheat Thins." The teacher said, "Shhhhhhh...." to quiet the girl. The girl realized I had entered the room and quickly turned red.

I repeated my question. "Are you going through my desk? Are you eating my food?"

The teacher said, "I was just telling her she needed to go sit down. Emily, go sit down."

The student went and sat down. Awkwardness ensued. I was so angry that I didn't even know what to do next. I grabbed my papers and left the room.

Since then, I've cleared out my desk and locked up all my food, candy and snacks. I realized that I can't even trust my fellow co-worker. It makes me so angry. I was tempted to leave a note on my desk for this teacher to tell her to not rummage through my desk, but I didn't want to ruffle any feathers. I'm left with this lingering question, "What do I do about this situation? Do I leave it alone and forget about it? Or do I speak to someone about this issue?"

What do you think?

3 comments:

Shannon said...

OMG! I can not even believe that story. Or that she wouldn't apologize and be honest about it. I think locking up your stuff and getting through the year is a wise decision. If they happen to put her in your room next year, I would take it up with admin.

Kari Marie said...

Um, you address that head on and confront her. That is horrible and ridiculous! Take it up with the admin if she does it again, but I would either say something or drop her an email.

Miss Bee said...

you, obviously, punch her in the throat. she deserves it.