Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer News

This summer has begun with a flurry of activities and excitement. I used to hate summer because of the heat and humidity, but since moving to Denver, I have really learned to enjoy my time outside. Since I kept my heat in my apartment this winter at a chilly 54 degrees, I was REALLY looking forward to some heat. And heat I've gotten. Since I live on the third story of my complex, it gets pretty warm in my place. I have yet to turn on the air conditioner, but that might happen soon if it continues to heat up. Nonetheless, I am really enjoying my free time and am counting the weeks until summer school is done so I can really enjoy my time before school starts again.

Summer school....One week down, five weeks to go. So far so good. Three of my kiddos already got kicked out this first week because they were caught drinking vodka in class. Those are the types of kids I am working with. It's at Dakota Ridge this summer, which is about one mile from Chatfield, so it's about the same commute as a normal work day.

MS150...13 days to go. I pretty good about the ride this year. I've been on my bike quite a bit, and I am steadily getting faster and better at the hills. My legs feel strong, and I am anxious for the big weekend. Our team, which started out with just Kari and me, has 17 members this year! And even more exciting is that fact that we have team jerseys this year!!! I will post pictures as soon as I pick them up from the store. Collin is riding with me, which makes the event that much more special. Mom and dad will help get us started, and they will follow up along the ride. It's great to have their support. I just got a full tune up, plus new tires on my bike, so I'm ready to go!

Pool...My favorite thing to do is sit at the pool. I haven't had much time to do that, but I will find my time soon enough.

Josh...We're still going strong. He's been riding with me quite a bit, and I call him my personal trainer. He makes me ride when I don't want to ride, and he challenges me more than anyone. He's been riding my mountain bike, and he still kicks my butt.

Pets...As I wrote about recently, I bought two frogs: Mrs. Hazelnut and Mr. Hopkins. Sadly, Mrs. Hazelnut has died...twice. I'm now onto Mrs. Hazelnut the third. Luckily, she has died each time within her two weeks time frame, so I have been able to return her and exchange without paying anything. This Mrs. Hazelnut seems to be healthy and strong, so we'll see how she does. Mr. Hopkins, who was going strong for over a month, sadly passed away a few days ago. Josh and I decided not to get another one (we want to see if Mrs. Hazelnut the third will last longer than a month). If she survives, we might go back to get a new Mr. Hopkins. Since he died after his two weeks was up, we couldn't exchange him for a full refund. Mojo, who is my class fish, is having a ball in my living room. He doesn't much like Chatfield because he gets left all weekend without company. The fact he has people walking around all the time makes him very happy. Sadly, Captain Oats, who I've had for almost two years, passed away two days ago. So...I've lost four animals in the past month. I don't know how much more I can take. I will get a new beta as soon as Mojo goes back to Chatfield.

Other summer plans...I don't have any. I have no trips planned. I have nothing crazy lined up with my time off, but that's the joy of it all. I have no obligations this summer, and it feels great. I can come home from school and relax.

Happy summer to you all, and I will continue to post pictures as I live life.

2 comments:

Kari Marie said...

Happy Summer!

I love that Josh rides with you. So precious! Seriously, supportive men are awesome!

Want to ride Lookout Mnt next week?

Desiree Jewell said...

So glad things are going great for you!!!! Here's to a GREAT summer!