And then we went to the Demolition Derby. It was my first time, but he's been going for years. He was so excited. Sometimes my boyfriend keeps a look of "I'm tough, don't mess with me" on his face, but deep down inside, he's just a big sweet guy full of excitement. I saw his excitement bubble over on Saturday.
After each level, big trucks would come out to tow away the cars that weren't working.
The ambulance and fire trucks even had to come out once to use the jaws of life to get a guy out of his car.
After the derby, there was a firework show.
After leaving, we then sat in traffic for over an hour. Needless the say, the people directing traffic out of the event did not do a very good job at directing traffic.
We eventually got out of traffic and decided to meet our new friends, Shelley and Dave, at a bar down the street from the fair called Tail Feathers.
We were there for about an hour. Josh and I danced. Shelley and Dave talked to us. Actually, I should say Dave talked to me. Josh, being ever so sweet, decided to brag about me coaching Lacrosse. Dave heard the word Lacrosse and it was over. He used to play, so Dave spent the next hour talking to me about special plays and what I should do to win the game. I honestly didn't hear a word. My eyes were glazed over. I was nodding where appropriate, but I had no clue what he was talking about. Josh kept rescuing me by asking me to dance, but every time I came back to Dave, he would continue on as if he was never interrupted.
While Josh and I were dancing, we agreed that Dave and Shelley were kind of weird. While we had an enjoyable evening with them, we were ready to leave them behind. As we approached to say our goodbyes, Shelley handed me a piece of paper. On that paper was each of their phone numbers and email address, along with their last name (everything but their address and birth dates). Shelley exclaimed that she loved hanging out with us and would love to hang out again, so "Please call so we can make another date to hang out."
We said our goodbyes and left. I now have this piece of paper that I don't know what to do with. We have nothing in common with these people (they are at least 40, if not closer to 50). Josh said to throw the paper away. I feel bad. It's obvious they are hungry for friends, but I just don't think Josh and I are the ones to be their friends.
Nonetheless, it was a great night and I'm glad Josh showed me the experience. Want to come along next year?

No comments:
Post a Comment