Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Teachers

The bell just rang, signaling the end of the first full day of school. I can hear teenagers talking, laughing, and gossiping in the hallways as they leave for the day. It was a good day, and I can hear the excitement all around. They are catching up with one another, talking about their summer, comparing schedules, talking about the good and bad teachers, and dreaming of their senior year, which for many feels so very far away.

For these kiddos, they come to school because they HAVE to be here. For me, I come because I choose to be here. This is my job, but to me, it's more than just work. I pour my heart and soul into these kids, and they have no idea how much time and energy we teachers put into them, both inside and outside this school building. I am so very proud to know many, many teachers. I am proud to have a sister who is a teacher. I am proud to have a brother working on his teaching degree. A lot of my close friends are teachers. Thank you for the hard work you do every day.

I have to remind myself sometimes why I teach. Not all days are good, and my first day did not go without a hitch.

Period 1 was perfect. They are juniors, and I already know at least half of them, which makes my life so much easier.

Period 2....well, let's just say a kid already got sent to the office. And it was for something so dumb, but he refused to listen to authority. Austin walked into class (tardy) wearing sunglasses. Per Chatfield conduct code, sunglasses are not allowed in the building.

I kindly asked him to remove his sunglasses.
With his little smirk, he says they are prescription and he needs them to see.
I asked him again to remove them.
He said they were prescription.
I said, Austin, per Chatfield rules, you must remove your sunglasses. I am giving you the choice to remove them or go to the office.
He stormed out saying he was going to the office.

I called the office and told them he was coming up.

Of course, he never showed up.

Period 3-already don't like four boys. I'll leave it at that.

Period 4-Perfect!

Period 6-Perfect!

So out of five classes, only one class has given me problems. Not too shabby.

I've already had a student come ask me if I could be a teacher-sponsor for a club she wants to start up. She wants to raise money for Africa by making bracelets and selling them, so I said, "Sure, why not."

Overall, it was a good first day, and I am looking forward to getting to know my students.

Thanks to all you teacher for everything you do!!!


No comments: