I've had the entire week off. It's been amazing, and I needed this time so badly.
I know, I know. I'm a teacher. I get the summers off. I get two weeks off for Christmas. How could it be so bad that I was dying for some time off? I love my job, don't get me a wrong, but only a fellow teacher could understand the daily schedule and stresses a teacher experiences. I desperately needed some time to refresh, especially since we haven't had a single day off since Labor Day. And despite my time off, I've been in the process of grading 150 essays.
A fellow teacher called this week to express her jealousy of me getting the whole week off. I gently reminded her that while, yes, we got Monday and Tuesday off, they were furlough days. Two days of unpaid holiday. Two days pay that will be taken directly from this month's paycheck. Two days that will greatly impact my budget for the month of December. Two days out of SIX furlough days my district has planned for us this school year. Two days out of six that my community chose to disregard everything that we teachers are trying to do for their students. Two days out of six that equals a three percent cut for ALL Jeffco employees.
And we recently took a survey asking us about next year's pay. Our options: Three percent cut. Five percent cut. Ten percent cut. I had to choose. Every teacher had to choose. And the final question on the survey: Would you rather keep your same pay and cut teachers? Or, cut your pay and keep teachers?
I wonder what tenured teachers are going to answer?
Despite the $70 million my district has to cut over the next two years, which leaves me probably without a job next year, I am thankful I have a job THIS year. God has been great to me over the past three years. I was blessed with a job at Chatfield, and God has supplied me a job for two years after that first year even when the chances were slim. I am thankful for amazing students, amazing teachers, amazing friends, and a paycheck every month, even though this paycheck will be significantly less.
I am thankful for my family. I miss them dearly today, but I am so thankful I was able to celebrate Thanksgiving with them two weeks ago. I love Carson, Kye, Corinne, Case, Siahna, Collin, Kate, Shan, Jeff, Mom and Dad. They are the best family a girl could ask for.
I am thankful for my friends. You know who you are, close and far, and I thank God for you.
I am thankful April is in remission.
I am thankful for Josh, my boyfriend. We met two days after Thanksgiving last year.
I am thankful for my beautiful apartment. I have made it my own, and I love coming home to what I have created.
I am thankful for my Jesus who died for me.
I am thankful for how blessed my life has been.
Happy Thanksgiving!
1 comment:
Happy Thanksgiving Shi! My district just passed its levy, which means things might be secure for a little while. Plus, we have real tenure, not that newfangled thing you've got there. SO...obviously that means you should trade one snowy state for another. C'mon!
Post a Comment