Sunday, May 27, 2012

Curtain Craft Time

My third story bedroom gets VERY hot in the summer. Like, unbearably hot. My large window faces west, so come about 4 p.m., the sun is blaring into my bedroom. From 4 p.m. until the sun goes down, my bedroom goes from a toasty 70 degrees to around 90 degrees or hotter. There are nights when I can't even sleep due to the heat.

My blinds in the bedroom don't just cut it (pictured below). They are pretty ugly, as you can see, and they do nothing to help cut out the sun. There's no curb appeal when you walk into my bedroom when faced with these ugly blinds.
In an effort to beat the heat, I made some curtains that I just love. And it all cost less than $4!
My curtains are made from a shower curtain. It's not plastic, by the way, but an actual cloth curtain that I cut in half. I put cloth to sewing machine, and I came up with this. Add a touch of buttons (my favorite part), and I've got myself a beautiful curtain made from my own hands that cost less than I could have bought. I found the curtain rod at Goodwill, and I hope this is the magic touch to help keep my room a bit cooler.
I already had the buttons in my craft bin, so I took some extra time to sew each button on by hand. It's the perfect touch.

Josh helped install the hardware, and this is the final look.

I am absolutely thrilled about the look.
Now, what I can craft up next?

No comments: