I stopped at Target for four things: a box of cake mix, chocolate frosting, poppy seeds, and a pre-made dessert to take to Shannon's house (she was making me dinner, I was supplying the dessert).
I found everything but the poppy seeds. I looked through every single spice; I knew it was where I was looking, but I just couldn't land my eye on it. After five minutes of searching, I finally tracked down a Target man to help me.
"Umm...I'm not quite sure. Let me look," he replied. He punched a bunch of letters into his hand-held computer while I waited (patiently) for him. Three more minutes went by with me standing awkwardly by the boy.
Ah hah! He finally figured it out. I followed him to the spice aisle, exactly where I had been looking, and within 10 seconds he had spotted the poppy seeds. I said my thanks and quickly walked to the check-out lanes. I had one more errand I had to run before going to Shannon's house, and I was already running late. If I hurried, I could run my errand and make it to Shannon's house on time.
There was a line for every single check out lane except for one. I was in luck! The check out man had two more things to scan for the lady in front of me, so I excited. I quickly laid my four things on the belt.
"Your total is $26.99. Would you like to apply for a Target credit card and save 10 percent today?"
"What's that?"
"Well, if you open up a card, you save 10 percent today AND get another 10 percent coupon in the mail. The process takes about 5 minutes, and we can do it right now. You'll know if you're approved before you even walk out of the store. Are you interested?"
"Well, sure. That sounds like a good deal."
Really?!?! You've got to be kidding me. Do you know what 10 percent of $26.99 is? It's NOT a good deal. It's NOT worth five minutes of your (and my) time. I'll give you $2.70 if it means that much to you.
The cashier told the lady to fill out all the information on the screen, and the lady complied. At this time, three minutes have already passed and I am not in a good mood. Three people have filed in line behind me, and there is a line at every cash register. The manager, noticing the lines, decided to open up two more lanes.
The clerk, who opened up her lane right beside us, grabbed the lady behind me. "Ma'am, I'll check you out right here."
I wanted to scream. "It's my turn! I was here first!" I kept my screams inside. I figured the lady in front of me had about two more minutes of information to fill out, and then she'd be done. If I moved lanes, I would STILL be standing in line and probably wouldn't save any time anyway.
Wrong.
The clerk then had to get additional information:
Full name (It was a funky name that she had to spell and he couldn't quite get right. It took three times for him to get it).
Address (The street name was weird, and she had to spell this twice)
Apartment number
City
State
Zip
Driver's License (Digging through purse to find her license number and expiration)
Do you have a blank check? No? Ok, then I need your debit card.
Digging in the purse.
More typing.
Finally, after about seven minutes, the application was complete. I was still standing in my same line, and all the others had checked out and left. I was fuming.
We then had to wait for the system to approve the lady.
Denied.
Really?
"I'm sorry, ma'am, but you were denied. How would you like to pay for today's purchase?"
She handed him a gift card to pay for the purchase.
In the meantime, her son had decided he wanted to add sunflower seeds to their order. The clerk scanned the seeds, which made their total $27.90.
He then scanned the gift card, which was for $25.
"You have a total left of $2.90. How would you like to pay for that?"
She started digging through her purse.
She then started digging through her bag of food she had just purchased (or should I say, trying to purchase). She pulled out a package of hot dogs and asked him to remove it from their order. She apparently didn't have enough money to pay for their food.
Then a whole new ordeal took place. The man had already scanned the gift card to take off $25. In order to take off the hot dogs, he had to unscan the gift card. This brought the total back to $27.90. He then took off the hot dogs, which made her total $25.60. Still over. She then made him take off the sunflower seeds her son had bought. This brought her total to $24.98. Finally!
I am not kidding, 10 minutes (at least) had passed at this time, and I was shaking with fury. What should have been a three minute stop into Target had now taken nearly 25 minutes.
He scanned the gift card again, leaving $.02 on the card. He asked her, "Would you like me to cash out the remaining balance."
"Yes, that would be great."
I then had to wait for him to pay the balance. He scanned the card, hit pay balance, and drawer popped open, and all he had to do was grab two pennies. Two pennies!!!
Well guess what?!?!?! His drawer was out of pennies. I am not even kidding you.
He starts to page his manager to ask for a roll of pennies. I am so over this mess, so I start digging in my purse to find two pennies, when he does the same in his pockets. He finds two pennies in his pants pocket and hands them over to the lady. Finally, I can make my purchase and leave. I had never hated Target so much than at that moment.
I start to push my cart forward, and the lady says, "My son would still like to buy these sunflower seeds. He has a dollar in his hand."
I can't tell you what was going through my head. It's not appropriate.
Scan. Total = $.69. The boy paid his $1. Change given back (after finding another penny in the clerk's pocket). They finally left.
"Hi, ma'am, how are you today?"
Seething, I said, "I'm fine, thanks."
Scan. Scan. Scan. Scan. "Your total is $11.99. Have you heard about our credit card program? If you sign up today, you can receive 10 percent off your total purchase...."
1 comment:
Too funny! That would only happen to you!
Post a Comment