One spring afternoon, Josh and I were playing at the park. We threw the Frisbee for some time and then sat and watched a game of Quidditch (yes, from Harry Potter-there are actually teams that play the game. The difference is they don't fly on broom sticks....they run on broom sticks). Anyway, we watched a game of Quidditch, and then I was feeling daring and wanted an ice cold beer.
We hopped in the car and drove to downtown Greeley (which consists of a whole block!). We parked and decided to walk the block to see what we ran across in way of a restaurant. The first thing we encountered was The Rio. Josh was impressed with the giant patio and suggested this as our resting spot.
Before going in, I warned, "Just so you know, The Rio isn't known for good food. They have great margs, but that's about it. I've eaten here a time or two and the food is not good."
"Well, you're talking about The Rio in downtown Denver. This is a different restaurant with the same name."
While waiting to be sat, I was reading an article posted in the entrance. The newspaper article was singing the praises of the food at The Rio. It also told the story of how The Rio came about, and I also learned that The Rio in Greeley is the same as The Rio in downtown Denver. Same owners. Same food. Same margs.
We were already being seated, so I left the conversation of food behind me. Josh and I were seated on the patio. We ordered cold beers and started our search for food. Josh and I try to share food when possible for two reasons: 1). It's cheaper that way, and 2). We both don't need a full meal-half a meal usually fills us both up. This time, however, Josh was hungry from our Quidditch watching, so he informed me I could get my own meal. Boy, I was delighted.
I settled on a smothered burrito, as did Josh. We placed our orders. We started our people watching, as the patio was full of interesting people.
It didn't take us both long to realize that not a single person on the patio was eating food. They were only drinking. Josh made a comment about it, and we chuckled thinking, "Maybe the food isn't so great after all if everyone is only drinking and not eating." It became our joke as we watched person after person order drinks and no food.
Our food eventually came, and we dove right in. After a bite or two, we looked at each other and both said, "This is gross!" Words cannot describe how gross it was. They only thing to help give you a clue as to how horrible it was is to say that Josh will eat ANYTHING. Anything. He is the least picky person I know, and he loves his food. Cold. Hot. Bland. Over spiced. He'll eat it.
When I could tell Josh wasn't even eating his food, I knew it was bad. I ate about half of my burrito and I was done. Josh, wanting to give mine a try, took a bite of mine and nearly spit it out. He said, "Mine was bad, but yours is horrible."
As several new tables were being sat, Josh and I then started to get the giggles as we "told" the other people (quietly so only Josh and I could hear), "Don't eat the food. No, don't do it. It's awful." Of course, we weren't telling people loud enough for them to hear, but Josh and I got a kick out of it. Anytime a new table sat down, we would quietly yell, "I wouldn't order here, if I were you."
Moral of the story: If you enter a restaurant and notice no one is eating the food, you better take the hint and only order beverages. The food is probably gross.
No comments:
Post a Comment