Monday, February 4, 2013

Breaking and Entering

I arrived home today and quickly ran to my bedroom. I was on a mission to make it to the gym, and I knew that if I didn't change immediately and head out, then I would probably sit down and never get back up.

I took off my work clothes and scanned my room for my gym bag. Realizing it was in the living room, I quickly ran into the other room (yes, naked). I grabbed my bag and turned around to find my sliding glass door wide open and the curtain blowing in the wind.

My heart started pounding.

Someone was in my apartment.

Someone had broken in through my balcony, and perhaps he was still in my apartment. And here I was standing naked while he watched me through the closet.

First things first: get dressed.

Check. Now that I was dressed, I felt a bit braver, although my hands were shaking and my heart was pumping.

I grabbed my attack stick. I checked the laundry closet. No man.

I checked the coat closet. No man.

I checked my closet in my room. No man. I checked on the other side of my bed. No man.

Finally, I checked the shower. No man.

My apartment was clear.

I scanned the room and found nothing missing.

I must have, for some ungodly reason, kept the door open at some point. I keep my apartment cold (my heat is set to 58 degrees), so I just figured I didn't notice the cold when I left for work.

I went on my workout, and upon coming back, I decided to start a fire.

My fireplace was completely cleaned out. Which is weird because I had a fire going last night, and I did NOT clean the fireplace out before going to bed. It was full of ash, and there was even half a log still in there smoldering when I went to bed.

Now I knew someone HAD been in my apartment. And they had cleaned out my fireplace! They must have opened the door to prevent all the dust from flying around.

How nice.

Around that same time, I received an email from my apartment complex saying they had entered my apartment to clean out my chimney.

Mystery solved, but boy did it make me think that some nice person had broken in to clean my place!

1 comment:

Kari Marie said...

Glad to hear there wasn't a boogie man, but it would have been nice for your apt complex to give a head's up...not a BTW email