Thursday, January 31, 2013

First Time Meeting

Dear Neighbor:

No, not you pot smoking couple across the hall who fills the hallway day after day with a smell that would scare even a skunk away. You, who leaves your trash bag in the hallway until you feel like walking it down to the trash can. You, who parks so close to me that Josh can barely get into the passenger side door. You, whose dog barks at me every morning at 6 a.m. as I leave my apartment for work. You who continually locks yourself out of your apartment and then rings my doorbell so I can let you in.

And no, not you cute, young couple who lives right beside me who bangs their cupboard doors all day long. You, who bangs on something in your apartment for some ungodly reason. You, who showers at least three times a day, that I can hear. You, who I can hear going to the bathroom because your toilet sits directly behind my toilet. You, who can probably hear me shower and go to the bathroom because my toilet sits directly behind your toilet.

I'm talking to you, the older couple who has lived catty corner from me for over a year. You, whose grandchildren play in the hallway and yell and scream out there because there is no yard to play in (and I can hear them so clearly I have to turn my TV up). You, who leaves your trash in the hallway. You, who Josh always takes your trash to the bin when it's in the hallway because he likes to help the older people. You, who I have helped carry up your groceries a time or two because your hands were full. You, who I've held the door open for because your hands were full, or just because you were a few stairs behind me.

Yes, I've lived here for over three years now. No, I am not just moving in. Yes, we've chatted several times in the past year since you moved in. No, I have not changed my hair color. Yes, I have talked to your grandchildren and waved as they waved to me. No, there is no reason why you shouldn't know who I am.

I guess we haven't met. My name is Shiloh.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

This must be the lady who used to work in the kids club at 24 Hour? She's odd...

Funny blog, though.