Monday, January 21, 2013

Calleteral

After the theft of my bike, Josh wisely decided not to ride it to school anymore.

He didn't want to play that game. It was stolen from him. He found it. He rides it to school again. The guy who stole it from Josh finds the bike and steals it again.....Nuh, uh. Not gonna happen.

It's really a nasty cycle, so Josh has been walking to school for the past month. This weekend, he decided to go bike shopping for a "crappy" bike. That way, if it's ever stolen again, he won't feel the wrath of Shiloh, nor will he feel as bad as he did the first time around.

So off we went.

Craigslist.com, oh how Josh loves you. (Me, it freaks me out).

Josh did the background homework, as he is so good at doing (I make him call Comcast for me, under the name of Shiloh, because he's oh so good at cutting deals, saying no, and getting the best price. I, on the other hand, will agree to pretty much anything. Go ahead and try to sell me a $1,000 blender. I'll probably buy it).

Anywho, Josh set up an appointment. We went. He rode. I got left behind to make small talk with the guy while Josh circled the lot.

Now, I'm pretty good at small talk, but sometimes I just want to say nothing. That's rude, though, and not my style, so I put on my pretty smile and admired this guy's five other bikes as he told me every intimate detail of every scratch, every dent, every mile ridden. I nodded where appropriate, smiled when necessary, gave my opinion when needed. In the back of my mind, I begged Josh to return quickly.

The first bike was crap, but WAIT, there's another! Off Josh went again, and there I stood making small talk again.

The second bike was crap, too. We said our thank-yous and goodbyes. This man shook Josh hand, and then went in for a hug (not even kidding). And then he reached for my hand. Of course, I didn't want to be rude, but I also didn't want a hug. Luckily, I got a shake and a pat on the shoulder.

This man then proceeded to share the good news of Jesus Christ. Ten minutes later, Josh and I were finally able to get a word in that we were also believers and agreed with what he was saying. The man invited us to church, and Josh and I went on our merry way. (He was a super nice guy, and I love that he's so willing and open to share his faith).

Still with no bike, Josh and I headed to the pawn shop. Again, totally not my forte, but Josh knows the game. He asked if he could ride a bike around the block.

"Uh, okay, but I need some collateral." She glanced around, looked Josh up and down, realized he really didn't have anything of value on him, and looked straight at me.

"She'll do. I'll keep the girl until you return."

I'm happy to know I'm worth at least as much as the crappy bike Josh rode around the block.

No comments: