Growing up, my grandma had a bookshelf in her bathroom that was full of Reader's Digests. This was in their cabin at Johnson's Lake, and I remember as a kid only reading the jokes when I went to the bathroom. I also remember thinking that everything else in the Digests was for "old" people. I was too young to read anything other than the humor section!
Several years ago, however, my mom bought me a year's subscription to Reader's Digest, and I have been hooked ever since. Come to find out, there's so much more in that magazine than good jokes (although I must admit that the jokes are still my favorite). As an "old" adult, I read my RD cover to cover. I carry it my purse for times when I have a spare moment to read.
I even shared a magazine with my friend Liz, and she is now hooked and got a subscription from her mom for her birthday!
Anyway, I was lying in bed the other night (before bed) reading my RD when I came across a section full of love letters. The letters were all from famous people to their famous lover. There was a letter from Marilyn Monroe to her boyfriend. A letter from Richard Nixon to his wife. Along with a few others I can't remember.
The letters were sweet, romantic, lovable.
And I got a little bitter at our technology age. No one writes letters anymore (my grandma writes me one to two times a month, and I write her back just as often). My mother instilled in me to write thank-you notes, so I still send those. My friend Marcy sends me a letter once in a while, and I like to surprise my friends with a letter every now and then. I guess I can't say the art is completely lost, but still, you know what I mean. I've never received a love letter.
Now, in this technology world, we text. We email. We Facebook. We tweet. But we certainly don't take the time to write.
So I emailed Josh and said, "Will you please send me a love email?"
His reply was short but sweet.
"I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH."
The VERY MUCH part was new, therefore making it a valid love email. :)
I guess I'll wait to see what Valentines Day brings.
1 comment:
I LOVED Reader's Digest as a kid. I was hooked on the "Drama in Real Life" stories.
And I too loved the "Humor in Real Life." I still remember one of the excerpts: a mother wrote that her daughter needed a t-shirt for a project at school, and--of course--the daughter told her the morning of the project that she needed a t-shirt. So her mom rummaged through the drawers and pulled one out and sent it with her daughter; she noticed that there was something printed on the front already, but since she didn't have time to go buy a new, plain t-shirt, she thought it would have to do. At day's end, her daughter brought home the t-shirt she worked on during her DARE class. Pre-printed on the front was, "Families are Forever" and on the back, "Be Smart, Don't Start."
Post a Comment