Thursday, April 18, 2013

Nothing Can Stop Him!

The first time I saw Cody, I was filled with compassion for him. Of course, I didn't know his name was Cody, nor did I know anything about him, but I automatically felt sorry for him. 

It was last summer, and Josh and I were peering out Josh's window (we sometimes like to people watch from his second story apartment). Cody was moving into Josh's apartment building, and Cody's parents were helping him. Josh and I watched from the window (not in a creepy way) as Cody maneuvered boxes and tried to help his parents as much as possible. 

After they got Cody all moved in, Cody's parents took him for walk, probably to help Cody become acquainted with his new neighborhood. 

The next weekend when I was at Josh's, we saw Cody being dropped off by his parents to his new home. Cody didn't go inside, though. As he got out of his parents car, he turned the opposite direction of the front door and started walking down the sidewalk straight toward the busy street. His father called, "Cody, turn around. You're going the wrong way." Cody quickly turned around and eventually found his way to the door. His parents yelled goodbye, and Cody went inside. 

My eyes filled with tears as I watched this blind young kid try to find his way. I said a prayer for him, and thanked God for my sight. 

As the months went by, Josh and I would often see Cody out walking to and from school, out with his parents, or walking to the bus station. 

In October, I was in Nebraska for April's wedding, and Josh went to a UNC football game with a friend. At the football game, Josh's friend left to grab a soda at the concession stand, and when she returned to sit with Josh, she had Cody in tow. 

"Josh, this is Cody. Cody, this is Josh." The three of them spent the rest of the afternoon and evening together, and Josh called me that day to tell me he had become friends with the blind kid. 

Since that time, Josh, Cody, and I have become very good friends. Every Saturday evening, Josh and I knock on Cody's door and invite him to eat wings with us. Cody is always game for a fun night out, so he is always eager to come along. Josh and I enjoy his company, so we always look forward to spending Saturday evening with Cody. We eat wings, we laugh, we take Cody dancing, Josh helps Cody find a dancing partner, I sometimes dance with Cody, we eat Wendy's together after dancing, we take him home. We have created quite the fun Saturday evening together. 

What is completely amazing to me is that I no longer feel sorry for Cody. What an amazing young man he is! There is no reason to feel sorry for him. He is the most optimistic person I have ever met. He is hilarious. He can eat as much as Josh (and he's at least half the size). He is a straight A student. He is studying to be an Accountant. He lives alone. He irons his clothes (I don't even do that). He makes his own food. He cleans his own apartment. He loves to laugh. He's the first to make fun of Josh. The only thing Cody can't do is drive (and ride a bike). He doesn't complain about his blindness, and he says he knows nothing different since he was born blind (Cody has a twin sister, and as it turns out, his parents both carry the blind gene. He was born blind; his sister was not). He can pretty much do anything he sets his mind to, and there is no reason to feel sorry for him. He has accepted that he is blind, and Josh is happy to narrate what is happening around us. 

Every time I hang out with Cody, I am deeply impressed by him. It takes him nearly twice as long to do anything, including his homework and chores, so Cody has to spend his time wisely every day. I wish you could meet this young guy (he's only 19, but his maturity is far greater). He's become like a little brother to Josh and me. He has also started to come to church with us, so that's awesome, too! We swing by his door on Sunday mornings and the three of us walk the five blocks to church. Sometimes we have Sunday lunch together, and sometimes Cody has too much homework and has to go home. Either way, we enjoy his company. 


Josh decided to help Cody learn to dance, so one evening before heading to The Cactus Canyon, Josh swung Cody around his apartment. It was quite hilarious, and I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures. 





Josh is always willing to help Cody find a dancing partner, and most ladies are willing to dance with Cody.  
 These two are best buddies. 
I am so happy Liz and Andrew got to know Cody last weekend. They both adored him, as I figured they would. 

Next weekend, Cody is going to come to Littleton with Josh. Andrew is coming, too, and the five of us are going to celebrate Cody because he turns 20 next weekend. We're going to take him to a baseball game and then have a game night and dinner to make his day extra special. I can't wait!

No comments: