Tuesday, January 28, 2014

My Hardest Student Ever

One of my favorite days of the year is Graduation Day. Our school has the ceremony at one of the most beautiful places in the world, Red Rocks.
As a teacher, it is my greatest joy to see my former students walk across that stage, get their diploma, and stand proud before thousands of cheering teachers and parents.

One of the reasons I enjoy this day so much is because I work with a lot of "high risk" students whose chances of graduating (or at least graduating on time) is reduced due to factors such as divorce in their homes, drugs, alcohol, lack of parental support, working two jobs to help their family, etc. The list goes on and on as to why these students are high risk.

These students have a special place in my heart, though, and I spent a lot of time and energy helping them finish high school. Most of them will never go to college, but our goal is see them walk across Red Rocks and get that high school diploma.

One of the hardest students I have worked with in my five years is named Sarah (I changed her name). I had her as both a sophomore and junior, and she was full of rage. She hated everything and everyone around her. I'd say good morning, and she'd pretty much spit in my face. I'd try to get her to do work, and she would cuss me out. She wore dark makeup around her eyes, and she just looked scary.

I had a hard time getting to know Sarah because she was so shut off from everyone. She just hated me, and she most certainly did NOT want to be kind to me, her teacher. She was just a tough kid. Halfway through her junior year, she dropped out of high school. It broke my heart, as it does every time I have to sign the paper "releasing" them into the world. I knew no amount of pleading would get her to stay, so I signed the paper, gave her a hug, and sent her away with my best wishes.

That was two years ago, and I often think about Sarah. We all knew she was on drugs, which is where a lot of her anger came from, and I would often wonder if she was even still alive. Either the drugs would eventually kill her, or she would get in a fight that would end her life.

And then, last week while I was eating my lunch, Sarah came into my classroom. Shock of all shocks. "Sarah?" was all I could muster.

She looked amazing. She looked clean. I could tell by looking at her that she was drug free and she was happy. I'd never seen that in her before.

"Ms. Nichols, I came by to tell you that I am going to graduate. I just finished my last class, and I am going to walk across Red Rocks in May and get my diploma."

I started to cry. I hugged her, and she actually hugged me back.

She continued to tell me that she was completely drug free (had been for about a year). She had been living with her boyfriend in a crack house, and she had moved back home to get out of that environment. She was sober and hadn't had a drink in a year. She was getting her life back together, and in the meantime, she had started finishing her high school work via online. She had just finished all her credits, and she was going to graduate! After graduation, she was going to go to Cosmetology School and she was going to make something of her life.

So, I take back my earlier statement that Graduation Day is my favorite day of the school year. Last week, when Sarah specifically came to find me to tell me she had finished high school....THAT was my favorite day of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good blog babe. I almost cried.