Today was one of those days. It just seemed like nothing was going to go right. It actually started last night around 10:30. I had been sound asleep for about 30 minutes when my phone awakened me. It was a friend who needed someone to talk to. She had had a terrible, horrible, difficult night. There was nothing I could do or say to make her situation any better, but I comforted her the best I knew how. After I was done talking with her, it took me over an hour to get back to sleep because I couldn't get her off my mind. I finally fell asleep around midnight. In the middle of the night, I had a terrible nightmare. I dreamt a poisonous snake was trying to attack me. Either in my dream or in real life, I was awakened by a tapping on my window at 2:30am. I sat up in bed, trying to figure out if the tapping was real or in my dream. I never did figure that out.
I laid in bed for about 20 minutes, heart thumping, body shaking, listening for the tapping. I had to go to the bathroom, so I finally got enough nerve to run to the bathroom. It took me a while to fall back to sleep after that. My alarm went off at 5am, but rather than hitting snooze, I hit the off button. By the grace of God, I awoke 45 minutes later than usual, only to find my adrenaline racing and my frantic mind trying to figure out how I was going to make it to school on time. I quickly got ready, packed a quick lunch and took off toward the school.
Today, of all days, was the one day I needed to be at school early. I was hoping to be there by 6:30 in order to prepare my lesson for the day. It was 7am, and every single car in Littleton was driving about 20mph because there was snow on the ground. No one knows how to drive in this city. I followed grandpa all the way to school, and finally got to the parking lot to find that I couldn't get out of my car.
Let me explain. My car door handle broke about four months ago. Because I'm unemployed and broke, I haven't fixed it, so in order to get out of my car, I have to unroll the window and open it from the outside. This hasn't been a problem (and I've hidden it quite well) until today because of the snow.
So now, it's 7am, I'm late and I can't get out of my car. I sit in the parking lot until no one was in sight, and then I had to climb over the console and get out of my car through the passenger side door. Did I mention I was wearing a skirt today? I didn't have near enough time to get ready for the students. The bell rang at 7:25, and I didn't have their textbook or worksheet copies made. I was unprepared. I had to take the students for a walk down the hall to the book room to get their books, and then they had to follow me to the copy room to get their worksheets. I barely had enough time to teach any lesson whatsoever.
I was finished teaching at 12:45. I had a doctors appointment at 1pm. I was late for that. I had to be at work by 2pm. I was late for that. It's now about 8:30 and I finally feel settled for the day. It was just one of those days. I hope tomorrow is a little better. And I hope I sleep a little bit better tonight, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment