Shan posted pictures on her blog of a skunk that we discovered in our back yard the other night. I came running up the stairs to see this smelly creature roaming through the yard looking for food. It didn't smell, and it did no harm while around, but we were none too pleased to see this nasty animal so close. The sight of this creature, which isn't something people see very often, brought back a very painful memory for me.
I was in 7th grade when our dog, Tasha, was sprayed by a skunk. Before any of us realized what had happened, Tasha ran into the house. It was the most horrible, nauseating smell a person can imagine. Within a few short minutes, the entire house smelled like skunk. We washed Tasha several times that night, but nothing would get the smell out. We shut every door in the house, hoping that would keep the stink out, but alas, it did not work.
The next day, I had to go to school, which ended up being the worst moment of my life. I smelled like skunk. Even though I was not the one who had been sprayed, the smell had permeated every pore on my body. As soon as I walked into the school, people started commenting on the smell. "It smells like skunk," someone shouted. I quickly ran to my locker, shoved my stuff in there and continued on to class.
The smell was so obvious that even the teachers were commenting on the smell. It didn't take people very long to realize that it was coming from me. I teared up and couldn't help but sob as the teacher asked me what had happened. I explained to her the problem and asked her if I could go to the gym to changed into my gym clothes.
Even though my gym clothes were sweaty and smelling, they didn't smell like skunk. I went through that day wearing old shorts and a t-shirt, but at least I didn't smell like a rotten animal. Every time I opened my locker that day, the smell would seep into the hall and my classmates would make fun of me. The smell was on everything I owned: my backpack, my coat, my shoes, my books. It was the worst day of my life.
That night when I got home, the entire house still smelled like skunk. I went through my drawers and picked out enough outfits for the entire week. I took my outfits outside and laid them on the picnic table. I figured they were safe from the smell outside, so I left them there over night.
The next morning, I showered and kept the towel wrapped around me. I did my hair and makeup in my towel. I even ate breakfast in my towel. Once I was all ready for school (except for being wrapped in a towel), I went outside and put on my clothes. I refused to go back into the house once I was dressed. This process seemed to work, so for over a week, I dressed outside. The smell was still faint on my hair, but it wasn't as bad as that first day.
Eventually the smell left Tasha and our house. I was finally able to dress inside, but I will NEVER forget that horrible week. It was, by far, the most god-awful week I have ever experienced in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment