Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Vail Pass


Amy, Kari and I decided to ride UP Vail Pass. In previous years, my family and friends have always ridden DOWN Vail Pass, which as you can imagine, is a lot of fun! It's about an 18 mile path that starts at the top of Vail Pass and goes through Copper Mtn, Frisco, over the Lake Dillon Dam and into Silverthorne.
Now that Kari and I are bikers, we thought it was due time to try our hand at going UP. So we started at the Dam in Dillon and began our trek up. The first 13 miles was a matter of finding a good pace. It was a relatively slight incline, and while it was a workout, it was doable for anyone. Once we hit Copper Mtn, we knew the hard part was about to start. The sign said 6 miles to the top, and we knew it was going to be steep. Sure enough, it was. I made it about 4.5 miles before turning around. Kari and Amy both made it to the top.

Next time (yes, I'll give it another go), I WILL make it to the top!
We happened to choose to ride on the same day as the Triple Bypass, which is a ride that covers 120 miles and goes over three Passes. We were not part of the ride, of course, but we rode in the mix along with several thousand other riders. We got smoked by rider after rider, but it was cool to semi be a part of the Triple Bypass

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job!! I am proud of you. Before you know it - you will be entering the Ride the Rockies :-)