Thursday, October 22, 2009

All in a Day's Work

My day started out yesterday with a kid running up the stairs of the Commons gushing blood from his nose. I happened to encounter him as blood was splurting out his nose. It was all over. He was covering his nose with his hands, but his hands were soaked in blood, the front of his shirt was bloodied and wet, and there was a trail of blood down the hall. I'm lucky blood doesn't phase me because I'm pretty sure I might have passed out right then and there. I haven't seen that much blood since Zombieland last weekend in the movie theatre.

I then ventured off to class to have a student call me Mrs. Nichols. I usually let it pass when they call me Mrs. Nichols or Mrs. Nicholas or just plain Miss, but I was feeling feisty. I corrected this kid and said, "I am not Mrs. I am Ms. I am not married." He goes, "I bet you want to be Mrs. though, huh? You want to get married." Uncomfortable with where this conversation was headed, I tried to end it right then and there. I failed miserably. I said, "Sure, I want to get married. But I am not married yet." In my mind, end of discussion. Except for they picked up on my use of the word YET. I meant nothing by it, but they took it to mean I was in a serious relationship and soon to be married. On my goodness, the teasing that took place. "Ms. Nichols, what's this guy's lucky name?" "Ms. Nichols, are you dating someone?" "Ms. Nichols, tell us about him!" At this point, I'm so embarrassed my face is turning redder and redder by the minute. I quickly changed the subject and got the attention off my name being Mrs. or Ms. That will teach me!

And then I got to make a "Your Mama" joke. Well, kind of. We were reading a short story on revenge, and a man wanted to get revenge on someone b/c this other guy insulted him. The kids wanted to know what the insult was, which the text does not say. I said, "Well, it could have been an insult about the way this man dressed, or he might have made a 'Your Mama' joke." Oh how the kids laughed and laughed at this. They think I'm pretty funny :) Jeff warned Shannon and me that one of these days, a "Your Mama" joke is going to get one of us fired.

No comments: