I wanted to update you on my job situation. It's kind of a crappy scenario at this point, but now that you know what's going on, you can pray for me and my job!
As a little background information, there are two English teachers (Laura and me) who are on a one year contract. We both have been well aware that we may or may not be renewed for next school year. Without going into too much detail, there is a HUGE budget crisis going on not only in Jefferson County, but over every single school district in CO. Laura's and my job has been on the chopping block for the entire school year and is contingent on 1). enrollment at Chatfield for next year, and 2). budget cut recommendations.
Good news: One of the recommendations has been to NOT alter the student/teacher ratio (42 teachers for every 1000 students).
Bad news: Chatfield's enrollment is down for next year by over 100 students.
Bad news: One teacher from each department must be cut.
Bad news: What Laura and I hold as two jobs will now be dwindled down to one job.
Bad news: IF there is not an in-district transfer (I'll explain that in a moment), either Laura or I will be out of a job next year.
Bad news: The in-district transfer...
What this means is if another school has to cut teachers, too, because of lower enrollment, and if those teachers that are cut are tenured (have been teaching for more than three years on a permanent contract), they are guaranteed a job somewhere in the District. If Dakota Ridge down the street has to cut an English tenured teacher due to low numbers, that teacher will automatically get the English position at Chatfield and both Laura and I are out of a job.
My principal said he will not know about in-district transfers until mid-April.
IF there are no transfers, then I have a shot at a job. Laura and I will have to interview for the one spot, along with anyone else who they decide to interview. However, from talking with my department chair, even though many people will be able to interview, the position really comes down to Laura and me.
Without sounding cocky, I am confident I can beat her in an interview. She has six years of teaching under her belt, but I have done more for this school than she has (coaching, teaching an all-boys English class, working games, etc). People do not like her, so that's also positive.
So that's where I stand. It first depends on if there's a transfer or not. If there's not, then I stand a good chance of keeping my job. I invite an interview against Laura. Let the better teacher win!
3 comments:
We will pray for you! Trust in the Lord!
Does Laura read this?!
Not at all. We are not friends. She has no clue I have a blog...We don't even talk at school.
Post a Comment