Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Swinging for the Head

I live alone. I have never felt threatened or in danger. My grandma once asked me that question. "Don't you ever feel scared living alone." Without hesitation, I said no.


My security stems from multiple precautions.
1. My apartment complex is well lit.
2. I park right outside my stairway and rarely have to walk through the parking lot.
3. I keep my cell phone in my hand at all times.
4. There is a locked door into my hallway that can only be accessed with a key.
5. I keep my door locked at all times.
6. I live on the third floor.
7. I have three neighbors, and while I've never "met" them, I know what they look like and their comings and goings.


Not once has it ever crossed my mind to be scared or to have a weapon in my place for self-defense.


Until last week.

There was a lurker in my stairway. As I got out of my car, I could see a man walking up the stairs. I had never seen this man, so I figured he was going to floor two. But he passed floor two and continued on to floor three. I was talking to Josh as I got out of my car, so I whispered to him that there was a strange man going up the stairs. He said he would stay on the phone with me as I walked up. At the top of floor three, the guy was there holding the door open for me (he must have heard me coming). I quickly walked past him, got into my apartment, and locked the door.


The next evening, this same guy was coming out of floor three. He was walking down as I was walking up. We passed each other, I said hello and quickly continued on my way.

I have since decided that he must have moved in. I never saw anyone move out, but I think that one girl moved out and he moved in. Which would explain why he has access to the third floor.

I told Josh about the second incident, and a few days later he found me a weapon to keep under my bed. I laughed at him and told him he was being silly. I didn't need a weapon. I was fine. He insisted, however, that I needed it.


"Tell me what you would do if someone broke into your place?"
"Well, I'd call 911."
"And then what would you do while you waited for the police to arrive?"
"I'd run to a neighbors house."
"And if he was blocking the door?"
"I'd yell really loud."
"That's all fine and dandy, but you need something to protect yourself."


He hid a club under my bed. I told him again how crazy he was being but relented soon enough. I guess it's not a bad idea to have some type of protection.


I kind of forgot about it until this morning. While listening to Alice 105.9, they did a phone segment where people were calling in talking about what they have hidden for protection. I quickly realized that most people (at least women) have some form of protection in their house. Most of the women who called in had either 1). a gun, 2). a taser, or 3). a baseball bat. I realized that I was out of the norm for NOT having a weapon hidden away.


Don't get me wrong, if someone broke into my place while I was there, I'd probably freeze and start crying. However, at least now I know I have some form of self defense to try to protect myself. You can rest assured, I'll be swinging for the head!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Uh oh Shi. Are you sure he moved in? He could be casing the joint.

Abby said...

Next time you see him introduce yourself (with a fake name) and ask him where he lives. Then you can analyze his body language.

I got creeped out once when I lived alone. I kept two kitchen knives with me after that. One for each hand - I'm pretty good with that left hand chopping blade!