As you know, I did an exchange program my junior year of college. I chose Eugene, Oregon (University of Oregon-Ducks) to attend, so I packed up my life and headed to Eugene for a year of studies. It was the best thing I have ever done. It was scary, of course, because I didn't know anyone (except for my friend, Hannah). However, it ended up being my favorite time in life. I learned so much about myself during that year away, and I will always cherish that time as the best thing I ever did in my life.
The first four months in Oregon were really hard for me. Like I said, I didn't know anyone, so meeting new friends was a difficult task. I got involved with the Chi Alpha group on campus, so I did make some neat Christian friends while I was there. I also got a job at Red Robin, which is where I met Casey and Bridget. They became my very best friends during that year in Eugene.
The three of us became inseparable that year. We did EVERYTHING together, including working together (Bridget did the schedule, so she made sure all three of worked together all the time). Our time at Red Robin was more than just work. It was the best job ever, so not only were we making money, but we were also having a blast while doing it. Even after our shift was over, we would end up staying at Red Robin for hours afterward sitting in a booth eating and talking. We would leave as the restaurant closed and head to Bridget's house to continue our evening together. Sometimes we'd spend the night, wake up, go to work together, and then leave work together to spend the next evening together. We made some amazing memories during that time.
The three of us made it through the school year and made big plans for our summer break: eat, drink and be merry. And that we did. While we still had to work, we were only part time workers, so that left a lot of time to spend together. When we weren't at work we: spent the day at the lake, went to the ocean, went to Portland for a day trip, sat at the pool, went for bike rides, shopped, did pedicures together, etc. You name it, we did it.
It was by far my favorite summer. I had little responsibilities and two best friends to spend my time with. We were known as the three amigos, and I will always cherish those memories. The hardest thing I ever had to do was leave Oregon to come back to Nebraska. I even looked into staying in Oregon one more year to finish out my college career, but the cost of staying was far too great. So after a year, I packed up again and moved back to Nebraska to finish up school. Bridget and Casey gave me a going away party that was so very special to me. I still keep in contact with Bridget and Casey, and whenever I get the chance, I take trips to Oregon to visit them. Casey is now married with a little boy. Bridget is married and divorced with a little girl. We have all changed greatly through the years, but whenever we talk on the phone, it's like time has stood still.
Here are some pictures Bridget tagged me in.
This was our favorite spot to visit. It was called Devil's Elbow, and the starfish were in the hundreds at low tide. We spend the day on the beach this day, eating seafood, shopping and hanging at the beach.
This was our favorite spot to visit. It was called Devil's Elbow, and the starfish were in the hundreds at low tide. We spend the day on the beach this day, eating seafood, shopping and hanging at the beach. 


No comments:
Post a Comment