Thursday, May 5, 2011

No Watch=No Time

As I sat grading papers today, my eyes glazed over as I read over 110 quizzes. Each quiz had 25 questions, so you can imagine my boredom after reading the same answers over and over and over again.

My sophomores are finishing the semester with Catcher in the Rye. It's a classic book and usually ends up being one of their favorite books of the year. Holden, the main character, gets kicked out of high school because he's failing all of his classes. Rather than going home, he decides to run away to New York City to do whatever a 16 year old boy does in NYC without parents.

He tries a bit of drinking. He goes dancing. He decides to hire a prositute to "give her the time." Holden often uses this phrase when speaking of sex. Once the prostitute is in his hotel room, he decides not to "give her the time" because he feels more depressed than sexy (that's the real answer).

Question number 12:
Why doesn't Holden end up "giving the time" to the prostitute?

Answer from quiz number 87:
Because he doesn't have a watch on.

I laughed so hard today as I graded this quiz. It was a welcome relief to a long day of grading.

No comments: