It was a complete flop, and I was embarrassed. This was the first meal I made that had to be thrown away with the pizza delivery guy on speed dial for back-up. It was horrid to the point that Josh didn't even eat it, and that's saying a lot because Josh will eat anything.
It was a lesson learned in corn bread making.
When I visit Josh in Greeley, we eat out almost every meal. He doesn't have pots or pans, nor does he carry spices in his kitchen. He has one wooden spoon, some salt and pepper, and ketchup in his fridge. Typical bachelor. I find it impossible to cook in his kitchen, so we head to Red Robin or Roma's or Texas Roadhouse or Chinese or Subway or whatever else sounds good at the moment. While I LOVE eating out, it was time to put a stop the money spending and unhealthy food.
So I've started cooking meals at my place and bringing them with me to Greeley. It's not ideal, nor is it easy for me, but it's better than eating out. I make the meals Thursday evening, cart them to school with me, carry them into the school building and stack them in the fridge for the day, and then take them back out to the car with me for the trip to Greeley (I leave straight from school because it's faster and helps me avoid traffic on Friday afternoon). It's a lot of work to safely get my dishes to Greeley but we both enjoy the home cooked meals and being able to relax while eating dinner. (This past weekend, the egg casserole leaked in my car and got all over my seat....still working on the travel accommodations).
This past week, I found a corn bread casserole recipe. It was easy and I knew Josh would like it, so I whipped it together and got it ready for transport. It was a layer of corn bread mix, a hamburger mixture, topped with more corn bread mix and cheese. Saturday evening, I stuck the casserole in the oven. The corn bread looked weird, but I didn't think anything of it.
After 40 mins. of cooking (it called for 20), the corn bread still wasn't done. It was gooey, but it was also starting to burn. I knew it needed to come out, but I also had a feeling it was not going to be good. We attempted to eat it nonetheless, but the corn bread was mushy and soggy. I was almost gagging as I ate my bowl. I was still hungry, but it was so awful I wasn't about to have seconds. Josh didn't even have seconds! We dumped the leftovers in the trash.
We ended up eating my breakfast casserole (which was a hit) for dinner.
Note to self: Corn bread MUST be baked immediately after mixing it together or it loses it's form and doesn't cook. Who knew?
3 comments:
Speaking of dinner in the trash...that mac and cheese recipe you took a picture of...we ended up throwing most of it away. Don't use wheat noodles and anything similar. And don't cook for 10 extra minutes uncovered like it says b/c it dries out. I couldn't finish mine, Case ended up in tears and Jeff tried to have seconds but couldn't bring himself to eat it all! Just not our week.
Oh nooooooo - what a bummer!
Hey, I'm impressed that you two try! I open the cupboard, stare, then decide to get "to go."
Post a Comment