Friday, November 18, 2011

Vampires

My student who passed out was back in class yesterday. I went up to him to make sure he was OK. I asked, "How are you feeling?" His response, "Ok." I asked, "Did they figure out what made you pass out?" His response, "No."

He's a man of few words.

Which reminds me to tell you that the twins are the two quietest,weirdest students I have EVER had. They don't speak to their peers, and they don't even speak to one another. I have never even seen them communicate with each other, and often times they won't sit by each other. They are very strange, to the point of me not even being able to describe how weird they are.

The story I'm about to tell, however, will give you a glimpse into their strangeness.

I asked the principal last night if she knew what had happened to make K pass out. She went on to tell me that he has a long history of psychological behavior and spent the majority of his 8th grade year in counseling and psychological institutions for mental problems. She told me that last year, he threw in Science because he got a bad grade on his test and wasn't able to handle the news.

On Tuesday, the day of this event, I had just shared with my students a story about a "Vampire woman" who has been going around Denver biting people on the necks. We were all laughing and joking about this story and the strangeness of this woman who thinks she's a vampire. This story has been the major news story around Denver this week, and police were offering a $2,000 reward to anyone who could give information to the whereabouts of this lady (she has since been found and arrested).

K passed out a few minutes after sharing this news story.

He later told his mom that this story scared him so badly that it made him pass out.

I was horrified. He passed out because of something I said! My principal told me not to worry (or to change anything) because of his history of mental illness. I am still worried about everything I say now.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That's pretty crazy. Moral of the story - pretend like you're teaching 4 year olds and keep everything G. :)