Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Near Death

I almost lost my head today during class. I have never in my life been so angry, and I actually had to kick the kid out of class so I wouldn't kill him.

I have a pet fish named Cherry. The kids LOVE the fish. They sit there and watch him swim, ask to feed him every day, pet him (yes, pet him), and talk to him. Cherry sits on the front desk and happily swims around all day while I teach.

Also sitting on my desk today beside Cherry was over 1,000 copies of papers I need for the next week. I am presenting a huge project to my juniors, and I spent over an hour yesterday making copies, stapling, arranging, organizing, etc. I came into work today prepared for the next week (which rarely happens).

During third hour, two kids started pushing and shoving each other. I was distracted at my desk helping another student, so I didn't notice what was happening, but I suddenly heard:

"The fish, the fish!"

I looked over to see a student trying to scoop the fish up from the desk.

That's right. Cherry was no longer in his bowl; he was flopping around on the desk.

The two pushing and shoving students had knocked the fish bowl over. Cherry was dying on the desk, and all the water from the bowl had completely doused my 1,000 copies to a sopping, soaking mess.

The main culprit finally got Cherry into the bowl (which was now empty of water), so he went running to the bathroom to get water.

I could care less about the stupid fish. Let him die. He cost $2.50.

What I did care about, in fact, was the thousands of pieces of paper that are now completely ruined. They are dripping wet. They are soaked. The ink is running in every direction. They are destroyed. I was almost in tears.

I told my class, "You getter go tell S not to enter this room for about 10 more minutes or I will lose myself." A student went to warn S not to come back into the room.

Another student ran to get paper towels. Another student helped clear off the table. Everyone else sat in silence.

I have no idea who the other kid was who caused the mess. Not a single student spoke up to confess or apologize. I was so angry I had to leave the room for a few moments. I came back in and started the day's work, but I am nearly in tears right now over the mess of papers I have sitting on my floor. None are salvageable.

I guess I'll spend the next hour remaking copies for tomorrow.

At least the fish survived the trama.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

There goes the budget for photo copying!

Kari Marie said...

That is horrible!

I would make the one accused re-do all 1,000 copies. He is more than welcome to name the other culprit if he wants help.