In order to tell this story, I have to make a confession. I did something illegal in a store, but I also learned my lesson and will never do it again.
Josh and I were at Sprouts, which is an inside farmer's market. The fruits and veggies are so cheap, but they also sell nuts, oatmeal, rice, peanuts, and candy by the bulk. Bin after bin of goodness sit staring at you, and if you go the store hungry, you're in trouble.
Well, I went to the store hungry. Bad idea. Our cart was overflowing with fruits and veggies, but then we made our way over the chocolate covered nuts section. Almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pistachios....all covered in chocolate, all $6.99/pound, and all looking ever so delicious.
Josh settled his eye on the chocolate covered almonds, and started to scoop some into a bag. I settled my eye on the chocolate covered walnuts. Dark chocolate, to be exact, and I had never seen this kind of deliciousness. My mouth started to water. I like dark chocolate. I like walnuts. I wanted to give them a try.
However, I wasn't sure if they were any good. I didn't want to spend some money on something that wasn't good, so I asked Josh if I could just try a small sample. He informed me it was illegal, but I really wanted to try the dark chocolate walnut. It was calling my name.
I looked around. No one was around, so I quickly lifted the lid, grabbed a small nut, and popped it into my mouth. As I was chewing, I hear, "Excuse me, ma'am."
My heart dropped. I had been caught. I had stolen a nut, and I had been noticed. I was sick to my stomach, and I knew I was going to have to confess.
"I'm so sorry..." I start to stammer as I turned.
To my relief, it was just an ordinary shopper trying to get past me. I was free.
I expressed my relief to Josh. "Oh my goodness, I so totally thought I had been caught!!!!"
Josh: "I know, me too. I was about to make a run for it."
I learned my lesson. I know it was wrong to take the nut. I've never done it before, nor will I ever do it again. And besides, the nut was kind of gross, so I didn't waste my money after all. I told Josh to load up on the almonds since we already know they are yummy.
I certainly was relieved, though, but my stomach was in a knot for the rest of the hour as I kept rethinking almost getting caught.
2 comments:
I have sampled from many bins at sprouts...and I always end up buying stuff. Relax...if you're buying they don't care.
Funny! I did the same thing when I was 5. First and last time I ever shop lifted. My mom made me confess to the Safeway check out lady that I stole a gummy worm out of the bulk bin and I had to pay $0.50 as a repayment from my money I was going to use to buy stickers.
Post a Comment