Notes like this that I received on Wednesday are so precious to a teacher.
(I am writing exactly as the note was written).
Dear Mrs. Nichols
I know i wrote you one of these last year, and if I had you again next year you would get another one. Pretty much your just awsom. I hated englesh befor you were my teacher, I still dont like it but it isnt prison being in an englesh class. The reason i never like englesh was i never realy got it. But because of soaly you I understand more about the englesh language than I would have ever thought. We just had to write a critical review essay not to long and I couldnt stop writing. My freshman year i never thought I would be able to type five pages in one day without even trying. But because of you I can do more than that. And I will miss you.
Sincerely
N
This student is one of my high risk students that I have worked with for the past two years. By far, he is my proudest work, the most turned around kid in this school. If you knew him a year ago, and then knew him now, you wouldn't even know he was the same kid, both from physical appearances, social interactions, and motivation.
Last year, his hair was long and covered his entire face. You couldn't ever see his eyes. He always had his music blaring in his ear, and he didn't bother or care to take it out during class. He usually came to class high, which in turn made him lethargic and unmotivated. I couldn't get him to turn in a single assignment.
Of all of my high risk students from last year, this boy was the one we all thought would not graduate or be found dead from a drug overdose. I'm not kidding. His mom was at a lost as to how to help him, so she kicked him out of the house. He started living with his grandparents.
By the end of last year, he barely passed English, but he did pass. He put in just enough effort to get the credit, but that's all he cared about. He left my class last year without so much as a Goodbye or Have a great summer, Ms. N. He was leaving and never wanted to come back.
He was back on my roster this year, which excited me. I had spent a lot of effort last year working on him, and I was excited to get a second chance.
Not I can't take the blame for his renewed soul (perhaps his grandparents have whipped him into shape?), but N entered the classroom this year full of energy, hope, and a new haircut. I could see his eyes. He wore nice clothes, and the smile across his face brought joy to my classroom.
What I do know for sure is N is drug free, which has brought him to a whole new world. Currently, N has a B in my class, and he is very close to reaching that A he has been desperately trying to hit all semester. He just might pull it off. Not only is he excelling in my class, but all of his grades are outstanding. He is never tardy, as he was time and time again last year. He is in class nearly every single day. When he walks into my classroom, he is present. He takes his music out and listens, and he has even been participating in class discussions.
I just can't brag enough about this kid, and he has become my pride and joy. I brag about him every chance I get to whomever will listen. I couldn't be prouder.
While his English still needs some obvious work, he has come a long way from the kid I knew just a year ago. Keep up the good work, kiddo!
1 comment:
So proud of you, Shiloh!!!
Post a Comment