The Ride MS is finally upon me. This is one weekend I look forward to and dread all at the same time. It really is a fabulous weekend, full of friends, family, food, and fun. But as you can imagine, it's the most difficult weekend of the year for me. This ride pushes me to my limits, both mentally and physically.
This is my 5th year doing the ride, so I know what to expect. This is both good and bad. I know how difficult the ride can be, but I also know how difficult the ride can be. I can prepare myself mentally for the ride by knowing, but I can also scare myself by knowing.
I feel prepared, though. I have ridden more miles this year than last year at this same time, and I feel in decent shape. Josh and I rode 50 miles last week, and I could have kept going. I felt good, and in fact, beat Josh to my apartment (in all fairness, he was on a mountain bike and broke the wind most of the way-and it was WINDY). A few days later, we rode 31 miles of hills, and I felt good after that ride, too. So yes, I can do this!
This year, due to the fire near Fort Collins, our ride has been cut down by 10 miles each day, AND we will not be riding Horsetooth Resevoir, which is by far the hardest part of the ride. Horsetooth is typically the last 20 miles of Day 1 and the first 20 miles of Day 2. It's a huge climb, and it's the part I dread most. However, due the horrible fire in that area, they have had to change the route. I am so thankful for this change! Rather than riding 150 miles (75 each day), the ride is around 130 miles this year, or 65 miles each day.
A few things to pray for this weekend:
1). Low tempteratures-As most of you know, Denver has been over 100 degrees for the past five days in a row, hitting an all time high of 105 degrees the other day. The forcast for this weekend is low 90s, which is great considering the extreme heat we've had.
2). No wind-We have had an extremely windy Spring and Summer, so please pray the winds are low. There is nothing worse than riding in the wind.
3). Our team-We are a team of 11 this year, and I am excited to have us all together to ride for a great cause. Pray for our safety and health.
4). Our purpose-We ride for Kari's sister, Amanda. We ride for my father, Doug. We ride for Dean's sister (another team member). We ride for Collin's friend, Mike. We ride for a family friend, Pam. We ride for many others who have MS, and I'm sure you can name someone who has MS. We ride for them, that one day a cure for MS will be found.
5). The fires-While this doesn't directly relate to the ride, please pray for the wildfires in CO. While I am glad Horsetooth has been cut, I am also saddened that this beautiful part of the country has been destroyed. Horsetooth is breath taking, and I am so sad to think of the destruction that has happened this month. I also have several friends in Colorado Springs who have been evacuated from their homes and know of a few who have already lost their homes. Pray the ash and smoke doesn't affect anyone riding.
6). My father-What an incredible man who doesn't complain about his diagnosis. I ride for dad, and I know he desperately wishes he could ride alongside us, too. But my parents will be there (literally) along the way, stopping at the stops, being at the lunch break, and cheering us through each finish line in Fort Collins and Denver. What an incredible support they are through this process, and I admire my dad for not letting his diagnosis affect his daily life, even though it's difficult at times.
7). My financial supporters-Thank you to each and every one of who has generously donated financially to help me meet my goal. I am almost to $1,000, all thanks to some very generous donations. May God bless you for your sacrifices.
If you'd like to visit my MS page, please click here.
1 comment:
So proud of you for doing this Shiloh! I wanted to let you know that we had 2 other friends riding this year, so we donated $100 to the cause before I ever received your donation request, so I am sorry we couldn't help your specific team this year. What an amazing cause tho and we are so happy to be a part of it! WAY TO RIDE!!! :)
Post a Comment