Monday, April 20, 2009

4/20

I don't know who reads my blog. I wish I could track every single person that perused my writings, but I guess that's the glorious thing about the blogging world. It's out there for whomever runs across it. Of course, I write for entertain. I write to get things off my chest. I write to make a difference in someone. I write to make people laugh. I hope you enjoy what you read, and I try to mix it up often.


I'm a little sad today, and I guess I wanted to get it off my chest. Today is the 10th Anniversary of the Columbine shootings, and it just feels really weird here in Littleton. I, of course, didn't attend Columbine High. I was a senior at Kearney High School 10 years ago, but I remember watching the scene unfold on TV that day. I moved to Littleton five years ago, and I remember going on a bike ride around the school when I first moved here to scope out the scene.


And then just a few months ago, I was actually teaching inside Columbine. It was strange to me to be inside the school, but even harder was meeting teachers and other staff members who were there that day 10 years ago. I've met many people who were students during that time, and I've heard story after story of how awful and life-changing that day was.

I didn't go to any of the memorials that were planned yesterday and today. I was going to go tonight, but when I drove by the school on my way home, the park was already packed and I didn't want to go through the hassle. However, even though I wasn't at the memorial, I have been there in thought and prayer all day.

I've done a fair share of research on those two boys who committed this horrible tragedy. It's a sad tale of two loners who just wanted to fit in. I think that is why I have such a passion for high schoolers. I remember what it's like to be in high school. If I can just make a difference in the life of one child, then I have done my job. I pray that nothing like Columbine ever happens again.

As a teacher, I have a responsibility to put myself in front of my students if a crime like this were to happen at my school. Am I willing to risk my life for the lives of my students? That's a tough question to answer until I'm actually there, but it's the responsibility I accepted when I became a teacher. It's a grim thought to think about, but it was in my head today as I went through my day.

I know my thoughts are random today. My prayers are with the Littleton community as they grieve, not only today as they remember but for the rest of their lives as they learn to live a new normal.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I read your stuff. And regarding Columbine, I share your sentiments.