Sunday, April 5, 2009

Nicknames

I have a new friend whom I've known for about three months now. We don't get to spend a lot of one-on-one time together, but we talk on the phone every night.

A few weeks ago, I was sitting on my bed talking to my friend. Case, my nephew, was getting ready for bed, and he decided he wanted to say goodnight to me. Shannon brought him downstairs, and Case came running into my room yelling, "Night night Dido!"

I was still talking on the phone, but I didn't want to ignore my nephew, so I said, "Night night baby."

Case ran out of my room, and I realized the person on the other line had gotten really quiet. It dawned on me that he thought I was talking to him and had called him baby. I didn't want to freak him out, so I explained to him that I was talking to my nephew.

He said, "Oh. I thought you were talking to me, and I didn't realize we were at the nickname stage yet." We both had a good chuckle, but I was a little embarrassed.

No comments: