I interviewed last week for a teaching job at Chatfield Senior High. There were three other people who interviewed for the job, including a student teacher who is teaching here at Chatfield. The two other interviewees were a teacher from Bear Creek High School and a teacher from Heritage High School.
Originally, there was only one position open. That left me a 25% shot of getting the job. During the interview, they told me there was a possibility of there being two spots available. After the interview, then the waiting began. They told me they were hoping to make a decision by Friday, but Friday came and went with no word. I had to wait through the weekend. Then Monday came and went. Then Tuesday came and went.
This morning, I was walking through the hallway and the student teacher (the one who also interviewed) grabbed me.
She said, "Did Brock talk to you yet?"
"No, why? Did you hear some news?"
She was visibly upset as she said, "Neither one of us got the job. They gave both jobs to the other two teachers who interviewed." This, of course, upset me, too. I was highly confident that I was going to get the job. Now Caroline was telling me that I didn't get it.
At this exact same moment as Caroline was telling me neither one of us got the job, Brock came around the corner and grabbed me. I knew what was coming. He was about to tell me I didn't get the job. He told me to follow him to my classroom so he could speak with me.
I followed him down the long hallway, dreading the conversation that was about to come. Once in the classroom, he said, "I'm going to make this short and sweet." I was thinking, "Thanks for the sensitivity, buddy."
He continued to say, "We want to offer you one of the jobs. You rocked the interview, and we were very impressed with what you had to say and offer. But your real interview has been this past semester while filling in for two different teachers. You've done an amazing job, and we've heard great things about you, both from other teachers and students alike. We want to keep you around for another year if you're willing to stay."
I was in complete shock. Here I was expecting him to tell me I didn't get the job, but instead he was telling me I DID get the job. All I could say was, "Are you serious right now?"
He chuckled. "Yes, I'm completely serious right now. We would like to offer you the job."
I was shaking and almost in tears. But I composed myself long enough to tell him thanks for the opportunity and I gladly accepted the job. He told me they gave the other position to the lady from Heritage. He told me she had the most experience, so they gave her the continuing job. My job is a one year temporary, which means at the end of the year, they will evaluate me to see if they want me to come back or not.
I haven't had a chance to talk to Caroline yet. I'm disappointed for her, so it will be awkward to see her. I won't let that ruin my happy day, though. Praise God!
5 comments:
WOOHOO WOOHOO WOOHOO!!!!!
Congratulations Shiloh!!!! You made my entire day...I'm so happy for you!
What an emotional roller coaster, but I'm glad it worked out the way it did and not the other way around!
I knew you were the best person for the job.
And very cool that you rocked the interviews...can you rub some of that magic on me?
Craziness. I'm so happy for you!
I had no doubt that you would get the job!! HOORAY for you and we are proud of you!!
Yea!! Yea!! Yea!! Your first year of teaching will be like none other! And your students will be blessed to have you for a teacher! Congrats!
Congrats on landing the big one!
Post a Comment