Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gas Pump Mishap

Some of you saw this story on Facebook, but this story is too funny to NOT blog about. I have been working at Enterprise since June (as a part time job). They needed me full time this week, so I dragged my booty out of bed at 5:30am yesterday to make it to work by 6:30. Once arriving in the office, my manager (Kole) told me to go stage a car at one of our body shops. When I got into the car, the gas light was on, so I ran back inside to get the gas card.

Kole, being his sarcastic self, gave me a hard time about being late and how I needed to hurry up. I drove across the street to the gas station, put the pump in the tank and inserted our gas card. I entered my driver ID, and it came up as "Please see attendant." So I ran inside; the attendant swiped the card, I entered my numbered, and it once again came up as invalid. There was a line of people behind me, so I stepped aside and called Kole.

Kole gave me his number, so I got back in line to wait my turn. Once again, the attendant swiped the card, I entered the number and it came up as invalid. By this time, almost 10 minutes have passed, and I know I'm already late. I tell her I'll be right back with cash, so I ran out to the car, turned it on and floored the car. As I drove away, I heard a ripping sound and then something dragging behind the car.

I looked in my mirror only to realize that I never took the pump out of the tank. As I drove away, the hose was ripped from the gas pump and it was trailing along behind me with the pump still in the car.

I was horrified. I stopped and got out to access the damage. I fully expected gasoline to be spraying everywhere, but there were no leaks and no damage to the rental. I put the pump back in the unit, and I ran inside to make my confession. With a red face, I told her what I did. She kind of chuckled and said, "Oh, honey. That happens all the time. They actually design it so the pump comes off in order to avoid damaging the entire station." I asked her if she was sure I hadn't damaged the entire unit, but she said I should be fine.

I went back across the street and got cash. I then had to go back into the station to pay for my gas. I was still horrified at what I'd done, but she had already called the repair people and put an "Out of Order," sign on the pump.

I didn't tell anyone in my office until later that afternoon because I was so embarrassed, but now it's the office joke. If only they knew some of my other stories (tanning, wrecks , car washes, massages, rings)...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok - this totally made me bust up laughing. I have heard of people doing this but you are the 1st one I have known personally. Thanks for sharing a great funny story! (I am glad it had a happy ending!)