Thursday, August 20, 2009

Challenge One

I found out yesterday I am going to have a deaf student. She has a mentor/tudor who will take notes of everything I say (as well as what her classmates are saying). She has hearing aids, which help her and I will have to wear a microphone (it's not really a mic as in it amplifies everything I say to the entire class-rather, it only amplifies my voice into her ear). With those two hearing devices, she will be able to function in my classroom, but there will also be some challenges associated with teaching her. It will be interesting.

I had to go to special training yesterday to learn about her and learn some techniques I can follow to help her thrive in the classroom.

I was warned to make sure I mute my mic if I have to go to the bathroom or if I have a private conversation with a student or teacher. She can hear all of that.

I'm ready for the challenge. I'll meet her tomorrow.

1 comment:

linzlou12 said...

Oh, yay! My mom teaches deaf kids! I'm sure you'll do great with her