Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blunders in the Classroom

I totally said something inappropriate yesterday to my 10th graders, and I was so embarrassed I turned bright red and couldn't stop giggling.

We were talking about Jay Gatsby who is in love with Daisy. In order to impress Daisy, he takes her into his home and shows her all his nice suits and clothes. My 10th graders were wondering why he did that, and I explained to them that in the 1920s, people took great pride in their clothes and the way they dressed.

I said, "In present day, you girls probably wouldn't be impressed if a guy showed you his clothes. But think about it. If a guy took you into his house, what big thing could he show you to impress you?"

As soon as I said it, I knew I had totally messed up. Everyone started laughing, and I was laughing so hard I had tears coming out of my eyes. I turned bright red, and they thought it was hilarious that I was so embarrassed.

I hope they didn't tell their parents what I said.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

That's hilarious!

Holly said...

Ahhh, classic.

Anonymous said...

Too funny!

Brian and Becca Kuster said...

Ohhh the things we don't mean to say in front of a classroom full of children... My teammate (4th grade teacher) was making "word families". Stupidly she chose the word DUCK as one of her examples. You know: Buck, Huck, Muck, *uck... Yeah, she actually said it!

Rich said...

I don't see what the "big" deal is...