Saturday, May 21, 2011

Graduation 2011

I was first hired at Chatfield to work a long term substitute job from January through May. In that time, I taught for different teachers who were on maternity leave, so I met and taught over 250 students in ONE semester. They were all 10th graders that year, which was 2.5 years ago. Well, those 250 10th graders graduated yesterday, and I was so proud to see my first teaching class finish up their high school career.

During that time of teaching, I became good friends with Drea. She was one of my favorite students, and I have stayed in contact with her over the years. She would often come visit me in my classroom, we're FB friends, and we texted back and forth. I was so proud to see this young lady finish up school. .


She's had a rough past. Her father committed suicide a few years back, so yesterday was a tough day for her. I saw tears brim in her eyes as she thought back to her father who could not be with her on this special day. Drea and Me


Chatfield's graduation was at Red Rocks. As far back as teachers can remember, we always got the 10 a.m. slot. Well, this year we lost the draw and got the 2 p.m. slot. As graduation day approached, we feared for blazing heat. However, we got another evil.

At 2, it was a lovely afternoon. The ceremony started, and the proud graduates beamed with joy. Around 3 p.m., the lovely afternoon thunderstorm started to roll through. My 3:15, it was pouring. I mean pouring. Being the smart Coloradoans that we are, most of us were prepared with umbrellas, but that still didn't keep us from getting wet. It poured for over 45 minutes.

I felt so bad for these graduates. As their names were called, they were literally soaked. Their robes were drenched, the girls hair was completely destroyed. Shoes/heels/sandals were ruined. One girl couldn't keep her shoes on her feet as her name was called, so she chose to ditch them and walk across the stage barefoot. Makeup was running down their faces. And apart from that, the thousands that were in attendance were so concerned about not getting wet that the students did not receive the recognition they deserved because people were getting up and leaving or trying to get umbrellas situated. Once the umbrellas came out, it was impossible to see the stage. The commotion was so great as it poured that it was nearly impossible to hear the names. And, most of the diplomas were ruined. Some tried to hide them under their robes, but their robes were so wet, it was useless. Chatfield now has 500 diplomas they have to reprint.

These kids had already walked across the stage.



My dear friends Karen and Linda were making the best of the moment with smiles. Karen retires in 5 days, and Linda will retire after next year. I'm hoping to take over Linda's position next year.


See all the umbrellas?


My friend Jen with her green sweatshirt over her black gown.


Me and Karen.


I lent my umbrella to two teachers in front of me.




See the poor girl near the center of the picture? She did not have an umbrella, and she is soaked.
Up on stage, which at one point had been completely full of students, instruments, and staff, is now nearly empty. It cleared out quickly, and our superintendent nearly left, too. Someone had to come and hold an umbrella over her head so she could continue to shake hands with the graduates.


All in all, these students will NEVER forget their graduation. It was pretty miserable, but we all survived with a good story to tell.

1 comment:

Desiree Jewell said...

Eeek!!! We had a concert experience like this at Red Rocks- it was MISERABLE!!! I'm sure your students appreciate you sticking around for the entire ceremony! Congrats that school is OVER!