Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm Right, You're Wrong

I consider myself a pretty successful woman. When I set my mind to something, I accomplish my goal. Here are some things I've been successful with:

1. MS 150 (about to participate for the fourth year in a year)
2. I got my Master's to be a teacher
3. I got a teaching job at Chatfield (and have fought to keep this job)
4. I did an exchange program in Oregon
5. I worked my way up into management at Enterprise
6. I got straight A's through high school
7. I had a 3.5 GPA through college
8. I am good about maintaining special friendships
9. I am well liked by most people I meet
10. I have taught high risks students for two years and feel like I made a difference

One thing I have not had success in is relationships. I have dated a lot in the past several years, and I have sucked at every single one of them. Time after time, the relationship ended with me thinking I was going to be single forever.

Now I know why I sucked at relationships: they are hard!

To all you married people, I give you high praise!

My grandparents on my mom's side have been married for almost 70 years!
My grandparents on my dad's side have been married for almost 60 years!
My parents have been married for almost 40 years.
My brother and Kate have been married for almost 8 years.
My sister and Jeff have been married for almost 6 years.

All in all, just my immediate family adds up to 184 years of marriage, and that does not include aunts and uncles who have reached upwards of 30 plus years!!!! That's amazing.

Josh and I met six months ago from today. We have the added difficulty of long distance, but things are going well between us. I have learned many things about myself by dating Josh.

1. I am stubborn.
2. If someone tells me to do something, I tend to the opposite.
3. I am extremely OCD.
4. I stress about cleanliness far too much and am trying to relax on that subject.
5. Because of my OCD, I don't let Josh help do things because he just doesn't do them right.
6. I am the only one who can do things right.
7. I am always right, so don't try to argue with me.
8. I will not admit when I am wrong because as I mentioned, I'm always right.
9. I will never measure up to Josh's mother, nor will I ever make a meatloaf that is as good as hers.
10. My family is much more fun, so therefore we should spend all our time with my family.

Epiphany alert: NOW I understand why I suck at relationships. I guess I have a few things to work on in order to be successful in this relationship.

2 comments:

Kari Marie said...

Totally disagree.

I think you had some bad eggs in the past and had NOTHING to do with you personally.

And the things you listed are just fun quirks that all of us have! They don't make you bad at relationships - it's all give and take, right?

And I think you're going to have a long, healthy marriage and that hits those great milestones!

Desiree Jewell said...

LOL! I loved reading this! I noticed a lot of "I'm always right. I'm always right." Rest assured- when you find the right guy, you're still allowed to be right and when you do end up compromising it won't seem like work at all...