Friday, June 14, 2013

Garage Sale

Josh and I hit the mother-load of garage sales today and spent about three hours driving around one neighborhood! And boy did we hit gold! I can either take or leave garage sales (Josh is the one who loves them), but I actually enjoyed today because we got a ton of great stuff for about $10 total.

I also made a new friend. A fellow shopper started a conversation with Josh about teaching, and Josh volunteered that I was also a teacher. The lady zoned in on me as Josh quickly made his escape, and I spent the next 15 minutes talking to this lady while Josh walked to several more garage sales. I got an impromptu hug from her (she thanks me for being a teacher), I saw pictures of her artwork, I heard about an art gala she's trying to start, she invited me to her home, she tried selling me books, I heard about her three back surgeries, saw her scars from her recent face lift, and heard how she spends her days (she can't leave the house until 10:30 every morning because she has to take it slow and sit in the hot-tub to loosen her back). She said, "You're talking to someone who is going to be rich and famous in the near future." (She's working on selling her art).

After I made my escape, we landed upon the house of an older couple. I immediately fell in love with this:

I am in LOVE with my new ottoman, and it was only $2! The moment I saw it, I knew I had to have it, and I was expecting the price to be around $5. I was happy when I saw a $2 price tag and quickly bought it. The poor old lady (probably around 80), as she handed me change, said, "I hate being old. I am just so tired." I comforted her the best I could and said my goodbyes.

We also ended up with:

Four propane bottles
A nearly brand-new chainsaw (for only $2)
A whole box of candles (for Josh's apartment-all for free)
A Model-T Ford car battery
PartyLite candles
A bunch of picture frames (for my arts and crafts)
Paint brushes (for my arts and crafts)
Lotion
A frying pan for camping

Perhaps I'm learning to like garage sales a little bit more after this ottoman!

No comments: