Here are a few things my father taught me....
To check the oil in my car:
I most certainly can't change my oil, but I at least have enough skills to check my oil to see if I have enough. This has come in handy recently since my car is leaking oil, and I can also refill my oil easily enough.
To bake:
My mother taught me to cook, but it was my father who taught me the joys of baking (very different than cooking). Most people lay claim to one or the other. My sister-in-law is a great cook, but she'll be the first to admit that baking is not her forte. Until recently, my sister leaned more toward cooking (she recently is giving me a run for my money in the baking realm). I, however, love to both cook and bake. But if I had to choose, I'd choose to bake first, cook second. I usually start dessert first before even deciding what to make for dinner.
Anywho, my father and I would often head into the kitchen and he'd teach me how bake. My mother did NOT help in the process, nor did she care to help. She was a cook, not a baker. Some of my favorite things my dad taught me to make are:
Sugar Cookies
Peanut Brittle
Brownies with nuts and marshmallows
Chocolate Chip Cookies
And I wonder who I got my sweet tooth from?
To smile:
Okay, okay, I know my dad didn't teach me to smile, but I do take pride in the fact that my dad and I have the exact same smile. And the exact same eyes. And the exact same expression when we smile/laugh. There is no doubting that I am my father's daughter if you see us laugh together.
To be carefree and easy-going:
My father is the perfect example of an easy-going, carefree attitude. Shall we go to the store? SURE! Let's go get some ice cream. OKAY. Want to go on a hike? LET'S DO IT. Other than the hiking bit, I am very much like my father. I'll do whatever, whenever. Name the date, time, and place and I'll be there. Want to have some fun? SURE, let's go!
Among many other things, my dad taught me to smile, to have fun, to enjoy life.
He taught me to never complain.
He taught me to be generous.
He taught me to be available.
And I love him dearly for everything. Happy Father's Day, dad. I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment