Thursday, December 17, 2009

Roommates?

There are parts of my life that I truly do not remember. When I think back to my high school years, I honestly cannot remember a lot of it. I don't remember most my teachers. I don't remember any of the books I read in English or the science projects or the math problems. There are only parts of college that I remember. When I talk to friends of the past, they always remind me of things that I wouldn't have remembered otherwise.

It's funny, though, because there are other things that I remember very well. When I read a book, I can remember certain key quotes and remember which side of the page it was on and what chapter it was in. This has come in useful when my students need help finding a quote. I remember strange facts, and I am usually pretty good at remembering birthdays.

Tonight I was chatting on FB (Facebook) with a very dear friend from the past. Holly is like a sister to me. She's my sister's best friend, she lived with my family for a while during college, and she knows virtually everything about me. We were reminiscing tonight about high school and college, and an old friend came up in our discussion. She asked me if I remembered Andy Brown, which I did. Then she said, "And remember, you lived with Andy's sister for a time in college."

That stopped me dead in my tracks. I most certainly would remember living with a girl, wouldn't I? I thought Holly was going crazy. I did NOT live with Andy's sister. That's just ridiculous, Holly! But Holly insisted that it was true. Holly said, "I'm pretty sure you lived with her in the house on Ave B. The house in the basement."

"Holly, I think you're crazy. I never lived with this girl. I can't even remember her name."
She continued to insist it was true, so I told her I would do some research and try to figure it out. I started going through "friends" on FB, trying to at last figure out her name. It hit me that he name was Kim, so I found my K "friends", and sure enough, Kim was a friend. I decided to send her a message to try to refresh my memory.

I sent Kim a message, asking her if we lived together. If so, where did we live? How long did we live together?

She replied back right away. "Hey, Shiloh. Yes, we lived together for a semester back in college. We lived in the house on Ave B in the basement. We also worked together at Sonshine World."

Holly was right! How in the world does Holly remember that I lived with Kim, and I still cannot place living with her? And not only did I live with her, but I also worked with her at the daycare!

In the meantime, while I was doing this research to figure out my old roommate, Holly wrote, "It's so funny that you can't remember the name of the girl you lived with." I replied back, "It's so funny that I don't remember LIVING with this girl."

So yeah, I lived with Kim for an entire semester, and I DO NOT remember any of it. Even after she confirmed it was true, I still don't remember it.

I'm only 29. Should I be having this problem already?

1 comment:

Miss Bee said...

that's called too much booze, shiloh :)