The Shi-Loh Down
Follow me as you venture through...
A Day in the Life of Shiloh
My alarm goes off at 5 a.m.
I throw the covers off and stumble to the bathroom.
I turn on the coffee pot, which has already been prepared the night before.
I take a 10 minute shower every morning.
This is me as I begin my makeup routine. I've mentioned before that I don't have eyebrows, so I have to "paint" them on. This is with one eyebrow done and one undone. See the difference? I always do my makeup before doing my hair.
My makeup in now done. Time to do the hair.
After about 40 minutes, I am now showered, dressed, make-up done, and hair done. This is the final project.
I hustle upstairs where I pack my lunch, eat breakfast (usually toast or cereal) and prepare my coffee. I put about 2 T Coffee-Mate and two packets of Splenda in my coffee. I must leave the house by 6:20 to make it to school on time.
I arrive at the school between 6:35 and 6:45 a.m. I am tardy if I arrive any time after 6:50 a.m.
It is still dark when I get to Chatfield.
Eric teaches next door to me, so he comes into my classroom every morning before the bell rings to chat. We talk about news, naughty kids (we share a lot of the same kids-he teaches math), what we did the night before, etc.
When I'm not chatting with Eric, I'm getting ready for the day.
Or I'm texting someone...
The first bell rings at 7:15, and each class is 53 minutes long with a five minute passing period between each class. Last semester, I had 1st Hour off, but I had to work in the Learning Center. Any freshman who has one or more F's in any class is required to attend the Learning Center. The LC is staffed with one teacher from every subject every single hour of the day. I am the English representative for 1st Hour, so I tutor anyone who needs help with an essay or reading, etc. If I had not signed up for the LC, I would have to cover a study hall. This is more interactive with the students, and I am able to see their success.
I also had 2nd Hour off last semester. This is my one free period to get copies made, plan for the day, pick up my classroom, make up a trivia question for the day, help any students that may wander in for help, make phone calls, catch up on emails, check voicemail, etc. It is my last moment of peace and quiet before the chaos begins.
3rd Hour Freshmen-This was my biggest class, with 25 kiddos.
4th Hour Freshmen-This class had 24 kiddos.
At 11:01 a.m., I have my lunch half hour. I eat in the Teacher's Lounge with Jessica and Karen. A few other people joined us off and on, but the three of us are very consistent. We talk about naughty kids and tell stories.
I check my phone and send a text or two.
5th Hour Freshmen-This was my smallest class, with only 17 kiddos.
6th Hour Freshmen-This class only had 19 kids, but they were by far my loudest class.
7th Hour Sophomores-This was my one and only 10th grade class, and we had a lot of fun. There were 22 kids in this class, all very full of personality.
This is me teaching. We were playing a vocab game on this day.
The final bells rings at 2:27 p.m. I am required to stay until 2:50. Some days I leave right away. Other days I stay late to grade papers or help students. About three times a month, I stayed until 4:30 for after school detention. It's still daylight when I leave (usually).
About three times a week, I head to 24 Hour Fitness after school to work out with Tiffany, Kelly, and Shannon. Tiffany was my cooperating teacher at Columbine, and Kelly is a science teacher at Columbine.
If I didn't work out, I often times would meet up with Britt for coffee, drinks, food, ice cream or whatever we felt led to eat. We can sit for hours and just chat away. Britt teaches Spanish at Heritage, which is in Littleton Public, just right down the street from my house. 
If I'm not hanging with Britt after school, I head home to eat dinner with the family. Shannon makes a great meal every night, and this is us at our usual spots at the table. We eat around 5:30.
More texting...Jeff gives me crap because in one month alone, I can send as many as 3,000 texts.
My nights vary. Sometimes I watch TV. Sometimes I go out with friends. Sometimes I read. Sometimes I work on school work or grade papers. Sometimes I'll talk on the phone. Sometimes I'll blog. Sometimes I'll play on FB.
I always get the coffee ready the night before so I can just turn it on in the morning.
I have a nightly ritual of cleaning my face. This takes about 10 minutes.
Depending on what I have going on at night, I often times go to bed between 9:15 and 9:45. Since I am early to rise, I am also early to bed.
There you have it! There's my day in a nutshell. Starting this Monday, my entire schedule will change at school, so I'll do this again in the future. Hope you enjoyed my day!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment