Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Free Tickets

One of my students came running up to me last week and said, "Ms. Nichols, I won tickets to see Lady Antebellum. Do you want them?"


I didn't know what to say. I replied, "Are you asking me to go with you? I don't understand. Why are you giving me tickets?"


She told me she had already purchased her own tickets but had won two more through the radio station. She didn't need the free ones, so she thought I might enjoy them. She was right, so I eagerly accepted the tickets.


However, it wasn't as simple as that. She had won her tickets through a texting contest, so HER phone number was listed as the winner. She said I needed to email the radio station with my name but I had to use her number. The reason why she couldn't just pick up the tickets for me was because you had to be 18 or older to be a winner. She is only 15, so it was up to me to pick up the tickets.


So our plan began. I emailed the radio station with my name, email and HER phone number. I didn't get a reply. Several days went by and I realized I hadn't heard back from the station. Yesterday, I emailed again. I repeated all the information and requested an email back. The radio DJ, Kelly, replied that my email had been lost, which is why she never replied, but she said her intern would be calling in the next few minutes to get all my information.


I was teaching at the time, so I set my phone on vibrate as I waited for the call. I told my students that if/when my phone rang, I had to answer it because it was for free Lady A tickets. I waited and waited and waited. My phone never rang. It wasn't until about 30 minutes later that I realized they wouldn't be calling MY number because it was listed under Chisa's number.


In between passing periods, Chisa came running into my room telling me the radio station had called her and left a message saying they would continue to call every half hour until I picked up. Since I had to be the one to answer the call, Chisa left her phone with me. She went to class. My next class started, and I again told my students I had to answer the phone to get my free tickets. About 10 minutes later, Chisa's phone rang. I answered, and it was the radio station intern.


He proceeded to get all my information, including name, address, DOB and phone number (I had memorized Chisa's number). He told me I could pick up the tickets any time before 5:30 p.m.


Yesterday, Britt and I went to pick up the tickets. I had to show my ID, but then the girl at the front desk couldn't find the tickets. This is where Britt and I started to get a little nervous. I was afraid she was going to start asking questions that I wouldn't have the answer to since Chisa had actually won the tickets. Britt and I sat in the lobby for about 20 minutes before the girl finally tracked down our tickets. I signed a piece of paper, and Britt and I had our tickets in hand.


So tonight, Britt and I are going to Lady Antebellum for FREE, thanks to my student, Chisa. The only thing I have to do for Chisa is give her a ride back to Littleton after the concert, which I gladly obliged. This is one perk of being a teacher :)

No comments: